Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

hi can any of you guru's tell me if i can fit a later starter to my 1984 aspencade as i'm having problems getting an original ! there's a few about for the 85 on and was wondering if its a sright swap !

thanks in advance for any advice

alan

·
Premium Member
3,793 Posts
imported post

I do believe the 85 and later modle starters have different numbers, don't think it's very do'able.

http://www.goldwinginfo.com Good luck...... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

i was going to rebuild my starter but when i stripped it i found the copper conector bar from the field coils was cracked causing an intermittent contact :Xso i'm stuck at the moment:(no starter no goin for a cruise:(

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

hi Hoss1200, I remember the same thing happening on my old K2 many moons ago, and I seem to remember doing a careful solder repair, which lasted the duration of my ownership, at least a couple of years.

Pete

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

thanks for that :waving:i was going to attempt that but was scared of damaging the field coils with the gas torch what i use for soldering cos by the look of it i'm going to have a lot of heat on it cos of the thickness of the copper binders:(

alan

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

You might takeit to a starter/generator repair shop for the (weld) then rebuild yourself.
Just a thought.----------Cork.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

hi i,v tried that and nobody will take the risk :(most of them said its beyond repair:(so i,ll have to risk it myself :(and hope for the best. if i cannot do it has any body got a later engine !

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

If you are going to go for it with a torch, then how about trying one of those small butane ones that you can get in Halfords or Hobby shops? Too many years have passed for me to remember how I tackled it, but I doubt I had anything more than a hand me down soldering iron from my dad. If no repair shops will help you out, then ai guess it's a case of, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Pete

·
Premium Member
3,793 Posts
imported post

If you're willing to go the torch route, do you or any of your friends have the ability to braze, or silver solder ??? Should be a very durable repair. Good Luck :gunhead:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I wouldn't want to try it with an open flame. Do you have a propane torch with a soldering iron tip you can put on? That should have enough heat, but shield the flame away from the work.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Shooter has rolled back the years in my memory banks, I now recall that I got a mate (aren't they handy to have in your tool kit!), to braze it for me, I just did the taking appart and putting back bit. I do know that it worked well and saved me a whole heap of money, for a new one, even back then, parts were £££££s.

Shame you live all the way up in Sunny Hull, I know an enthusiastic guy down here, who would almost certainly tackle it for you.

I hope you get it sorted, these things get so frustrating.

Pete

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

well i bit the bullet today and got my little solder torch out and got it nice and hot cleaned both ends of the copper strip and took my time solderd both ends together taking care not to get too close to the field coils put it all back together crossed my fingers [and every thing else i could think of ] pressed the starter button sucesess it worked :clapper:lets just hope it holds only time will tell

thanks to every body who gave little tidbits of advice

alan :D

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'm not trying to rain on the parade, but keep an eye out for a good buy on a used starter. The softsoldered repair should work fine, but it's not as strong as the original copper, it could crack again.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

this is only a temp repair i'm keeping my eyes open for another starter but the 1984 starter is hard to get hold of :(so if anybody knows where i can get hold of one or the casing with the field coilsi would be eternaly greatful

many thanks

alan

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
imported post

I had rebuilt my 85 wing starter with one from a 86wing.The difference is in the length of the starter.I removed the parts from the 86 and installed them into the 85.If you get one check inside the starter of the longest starter and you will see that there was no reason for the extra length because it has a 1 inch space inside at the back .This told me that the parts would fit and they went right in and mounted into the same holes.Hope this helps

Dman

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
imported post

hi bikerfred i emailed david silver when i started having probs with the starter . they said it was discontinued so that put that idea out of the window :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.