Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
28,075 Posts
Did you bench test it before you installed it?

·
Administrator
28,075 Posts
What was the problem before you rebuilt the starter? sounds like the starter clutch is not engaging.

·
Administrator
28,075 Posts
Am I correct in assuming you have had this bike running and starting before?

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes sir everything was running good=the starter just began ticking-pull starter and replaced brushes--could something happen were the starter goes in

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
I suppose that you could have missed engaging the starter output gear with the sprocket that turns the starter clutch.

When you bench tested it are you sure it was spinning in the correct direction? I guess it is possible to put the brushes in the wrong holes but as I remember they would only go in one way and the wires wouldn't let them be put in wrong.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
could it be the starter clutch i find it unlikely the starter fail (discovered broken tab on brushes) and starter clutch not working proper at the same time

·
Administrator
28,075 Posts
I suppose that you could have missed engaging the starter output gear with the sprocket that turns the starter clutch.

When you bench tested it are you sure it was spinning in the correct direction? I guess it is possible to put the brushes in the wrong holes but as I remember they would only go in one way and the wires wouldn't let them be put in wrong.
The thought of it spinning the wrong way did cross my mind but I don't know if it's possible. I don't think it's possible to put it in and miss the sprocket either, not enough room for it to get out of the way. It may be possible for the chain to be off the sprocket though.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
about a month ago my starter began clicking and final went to doing nothing. i removed starter and found a tab on the brushes broken. well the brushes at my local honda shop was $28 a piece, yes i know pretty high, (i asked twice) so i bought them on ebay for $9 for both. anyway a fault of my own i just receive them. bench tested the starter and worked fine. after installing it will only spin and not engaged the motor and i don't see how the starter and the starter clutch will quit at the same time. i know that the starter was not working before i took it out. please give me some idea or suggestions. i miss riding my bike

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
since it set for a month possible-i going to pull the starter again and look-if that is the case do i have to pull engine

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
do i need to pull the starter to see if chain fell off-an how do you put it back on--the bike could have been shaken since it been stitting for a month

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i tried to start bike this morning and when i hit the start button every 5th or 6th time the bike acts like when i start it when the clutch lever is not all the way pulled in-it even backfired a little one time--so i guess its trying to engage-i going to change oil and add seafoam-try to push start it and ride it about a hundred miles and then change the oil and filter-wish me luck because i really miss riding my bike and also my silverado get 15mpg while i getting around 43 on my bike--that is a little difference when i driving about 500 mile a week at almost $4 a gal in GA

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
It is possible that either the bendix clutch isn't working, or you didn't get the starter aligned properly when you reinstalled it.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
change the oil, added seafoam and got some friends over to help push start it--as i was pushing it out the garage, i tried it one more time and it started right up--thanked my friends anyway and drove about 60 miles. when i returned home i tried to restart it and the starter only spin until the 5th or 6th time--going to change oil and add more seafoam and drive 100 miles this time--i think it loosen up some of sludge on the starter clutch-when i drain the oil that i just put in there was real black--i hope that does it, but if i have to pull the motor any suggestions on some things i can do or look for while the engine is out--maybe ot will save me time and money down the road

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.