Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK GUYS im new so bare with me. I just bought an 84 GL1200 in pretty rough shape. Don't mind working on a bike. I was told you can hot wire the starter by tapping a wire from the pos battery terminal to the starter to see if it is working or not. The motor is in neutral and it does roll while in gear so the motor is free. Is this true that you can do this. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Before I would try to turn the motor over I would put some MMO in each cyclinder and let it sit overnight. I know you said the motor turns over, but I would still do this as a precaution. I would leave the plugs out and cover the holes with some rags. Just in case some oil is let in the cyclinders. I would check the dogbone fuse close the the battery. And finally yes you can use a jumper from the battery to the starter or to the wire going from the starter to the solenoid. Leave the kill switch off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK guys. I pulled all plugs and tried to jump with jumper from battery to starter. It started to turn over then stopped. When tried to do it again, all that happened was a spark from touching the battery terminal and jumper heating up like short and starting to melt. Do you think its the starter? Motor still turns over while rolling it in gear.

Thanks for the help

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.