Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
GL1200A
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Thats the big problem, you should only have power when button pressed
Yeah that's the frustration here. It's like two things are swapped and working the opposite way.

It's right there in your picture, green wire, I can't see a red stripe so it might be an aftermarket pigtail.
View attachment 330412
Ahhhhhh green only. I was looking for green/red.I'll check it and see.

·
Registered
GL1200A
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Tested the terminals, the front two make power, meaning the two facing outward, right above the fuse. The other two do not. Making sure the thick red and red with what looks like silver paint on are the ones going to those terminals, I've hooked the plug back in. When I do that, all 4 wires are now powered. It's just odd.

·
Registered
GL1200A
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Problem solved. I'll post pictures. I kept testing everything and looking, looking, looking. I decided to unwrap the plug based on several of you telling me it looks aftermarket. Lo and behold, the green/red wire (which was green at the plug) was snipped in the loom and rerouted right back to the battery. I pulled it off the battery, loosely hooked it to the g/r in the loom, checked the terminals (now showing power to only the red and r/w) and it started. Well, it started when I pressed the starter button with the key on. Anyway, I'll be following this loom up a few more inches and making sure I'm not missing something.

What could the white wire be? CB or radio? Also, any idea as to why the g/r wire would have been snipped and done up like it was? There has been a lot of hackery in the loom as everyone can see but the wiring in places has been wrapped very well and even the connection from the green aftermarket to the g/r was soldered and heat-shrinked.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
The aftermarket solenoids are often wired differently or not even made to be used on this bike. So you never know some Bubba decided that the solenoid from his riding mower looked close enough and used it, hacking the wiring as needed to try and make it work.

·
Administrator
29,152 Posts
Problem solved. I'll post pictures. I kept testing everything and looking, looking, looking. I decided to unwrap the plug based on several of you telling me it looks aftermarket. Lo and behold, the green/red wire (which was green at the plug) was snipped in the loom and rerouted right back to the battery. I pulled it off the battery, loosely hooked it to the g/r in the loom, checked the terminals (now showing power to only the red and r/w) and it started. Well, it started when I pressed the starter button with the key on. Anyway, I'll be following this loom up a few more inches and making sure I'm not missing something.

What could the white wire be? CB or radio? Also, any idea as to why the g/r wire would have been snipped and done up like it was? There has been a lot of hackery in the loom as everyone can see but the wiring in places has been wrapped very well and even the connection from the green aftermarket to the g/r was soldered and heat-shrinked.
I knew something was wired wrong. I don't see a white wire. Someone with no clue what he was doing worked on it.

81 - 89 of 89 Posts