Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am having issues with my '84 GL1200 Standard starting. I put a new battery in it this spring, went to a sealed type, and it ran fine for 2 weeks. Went back to where I got the battery and got a replacement, ran fine for 2 more weeks. Went on a memorial poker run and at the next to the last stop the bike acted like the battery was dead. Push started the bike, with the help of some generous younger men, and finished the run. As soon as we got home I turned the bike off then turned the ignition on and hit the starter button and got about a half a crank out of it. Wen I put the multimeter on the battery it read 13v dc. This morning the bike barely turns over. When I got the first new battery this season they used their tester on it and said the old battery was dead cell, but the charging system was ok. When I returned the first new battery they tested it and said the battery waas not charged all the way and the charging system was not working correctly(turns out the plug with the 3 yellow wires was cooked/ learned that here BTW) fixed that and new battery, new plug not cooked but battery not cranking the bike, am hoping someone here knows something that it could be other than the stator!! eek. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,341 Posts
I'd guess the old plug cooked the stator. Run the checks and hope it's the rectifier instead. That's all you can do at this point. :?

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
i would have to think that the starter for one is in need of brushes or cleanup,then once its starting you can recheck charging system,you might also check that the solenoid connector isn't fried,causing little or no charge from the regulator

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.