Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

What is the most reliable fix?

I checked the volts the other day I think it was between 6 and 7 volts per leg and about 14 at the battery at 3000 rpm. I think I will check that again when I can safely start the bike again.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I unplugged it to put electrolyte gel on it to help prevent what has already happened. The plug looks fine plugged together.

·
Honda Guru
2,075 Posts
Compared to some plugs…. yours looks good. But it is wasted. Solder the 3 yellow wires together with some correct sized wire, use heat shrink tubing over the connections. Normally called 'hard wired' this'll help prevent any more damage. Can't guarantee that damage hasn't already been done those. You might want to check the connection at the Reg/Rec. It might be burnt as well.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You might want to check the connection at the Reg/Rec. It might be burnt as well.
Could some one tell me where I might find that? A picture would help.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
if you click the link in bellboy40's post should be all you need

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found the Reg/Rec I see the ground wires (Green) attached to the holder two run to the Reg/Rec and one runs into the wiring harness and then to ground.

Were is the other end of the green wire that runs from the reg/rec holder bolt to the ground? I could not find were it hooks to the ground.

I checked the plug to the Reg/Rec and it looks ok so I put some dielectric gel in the female side then wiped the excess off the plugs.

I checked the 3 yellows out of the stator no conductivity to ground. .5 ohms between each wire. I have not had any charging issues yet I just decided to do some preventative maintenance while I wait for the water pump to come. I already have the old pump out so there's no coolant or oil in the bike.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hard wired the plug and finally got to start the bike last night volt meter shows 14.2 - 14.8 with rpms 1000 - 3000.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Were is the other end of the green wire that runs from the reg/rec holder bolt to the ground? I could not find were it hooks to the ground.
If you look carefully at your motorcycle wiring, everything is grounded by a green wire. Even most of the components (most) are provoded a gound by the wiring harness.
Under the bracket that secures the rectifier/regulator is a green ground eyelet. This is the ground for the wiring harness. The entire wiring harness. It is the ONLY "stock" ground provided for the wire loom (rectifier included).
The frame carries the ground to the battery via the negative battery cable.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
regardless of the fact that the regulator has a ground thru the connector etc,i have found that adding another ground wire to the frame helped the charging voltage,only thing i can surmise is the the ground circuit on the regulator stock is marginal

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
regardless of the fact that the regulator has a ground thru the connector etc,i have found that adding another ground wire to the frame helped the charging voltage,only thing i can surmise is the the ground circuit on the regulator stock is marginal
Where did you attach the ground? eyelet from the reg/rec to where? Sounds like a good idea to me. I checked the volts at the battery I got 14.2 - 14.8.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.