Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My buddy has got a 84 1200 and the stator has gone bad .. we are thinking about doing a poor boy conversion on it , should we or would it be better pulling the motor and replacing the stator . He is planning on running extra lights and accessories so we were thinking about the extra volts of the poor boy kit

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

The Poor boy is the way to go on the 1200. Lots more amps output than the stators ever put out to run lots of lights and accessories.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Absolutely, the external alternator is the way to go especially if you need more power

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

hands down,you'll never regret the time spent putting the poorboy kit on

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

It's a personal decision, some like to keep their antique bikes stock with only period available additions so it's up to your buddy which way he goes.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
imported post

+1 on the Poorboy alternator conversion. I installed one 18 months ago andit works great (and I have quite a few lights/accessories).

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

I understand all the benefits of the poorboy convertion,but have not yet seen a good picture of what it looks like on the bike when completed. Anyone have one ?

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

rideandslidejim wrote:
I understand all the benefits of the poorboy convertion,but have not yet seen a good picture of what it looks like on the bike when completed. Anyone have one ?

Jim
You can search poorboy pics in the forum search Jim. Ultimately the idea is an invisible install. There are other externally mounted alternators for the 1200's but the poorboyversion allows you to hide the alternator behind the fairing while the drive belt and pulley is concealed behind the radiator.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
imported post

I changed the stator in mine but I think the poorboy may be a better choice.I don't know how long my stator had been dead,but when I took the rear cover and saw what it was doing to the in side of my motor I was glad to get it out of my motor oil.If my stator were to go out to day I would go with the poor boy but remove the old stator.IMO seafoam is not a cure all especialy when it comes to motor oil.My wife and I changed ours out,it was not nearly as bad as I thought it would.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Thanks All I thought you would see the altenartor outside the covers. My 86 still has the original stator at 90,000 plus, guess i have been lucky.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

if you put a poorboy on a 1200 the next stage of life to beat is the rings and cylinders....if you live that long

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
imported post

rideandslidejim wrote:
Thanks All I thought you would see the altenartor outside the covers. My 86 still has the original stator at 90,000 plus, guess i have been lucky.

Jim
It actually fits inside with just enough room.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

I changed the stator in mine once and when it failed I installed an external alternator.It's the way to go-superior electrical performance.And if it needs servicing you can access it very quickly.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Just another thought on this, with all the 1200's out there, why hasn't someone marketed a complete kit, I know Doug is around for assistance but i would think a complete off the self kit would sell.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,483 Posts
imported post

rideandslidejim wrote:
Just another thought on this, with all the 1200's out there, why hasn't someone marketed a complete kit, I know Doug is around for assistance but i would think a complete off the self kit would sell.

Jim
Someone has! His on-line name is Poorboy and you can contact him over at Vic's site:

www.gl1200goldwings.com

I believe his kit has all that you'll need except for the alternator!

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
imported post

I also did the Poor Boy, it is the way to go

jar

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

plow boy wrote: I don't know how long my stator had been dead,but when I took the rear cover and saw what it was doing to the in side of my motor I was glad to get it out of my motor oil.
Just to follow up on what plow boy has written................When stators burn out the varnish that covers the wires can flake off and make its way through the engine. One of the forum members, Buffalowing , had replaced the original stator with an external kit .Not long after he started having"clutch creep" problems". As it turned out a piece of that varnish was blocking the scavage oil pump( that oil pump removes excess oil from the clutch area and moves it to the primary chain area)He had to remove the engine and rear cover to determine that and after it was cleaned the clutch was ok again. He removed the burnt stator. The point I am trying to make is that the external alternator is a great idea but you have to keep in mind that the burnt stator is still in there and the possibility of crispy varnish bits flaking off and circulating through the engine exists and if it blocks the main oil pump or some other port or channel it could destroy the engine..In some engines it may never be a problem but you never know. Personally I stick with the original style statorsbut if I was to go with an external type I would also remove the old stator.(myopinion ) These two pictures show afailed stator and a rotor withsomeburnt varnish chips in it. Picture this circulating through your engine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
imported post

My stator was dead when I bought the bike so I don't know how long it had been dead,my stator looked like the darkest spot on the one above at about 10 o'clock,the rear case looked like the darkest on the case at about 5 o'clock,every thing in there was black.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.