Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Question first: Is replacing the Stator that bad/hard or just 10+++ hours of work removing and reinstalling the heavy motor? (Any special equipment needed? Or is a 2 person lift OK)

AND will I need to do it again soon? I hear heavy-duty stators are available (any recommendations where to get on I can trust?) But will it last?

Any other advice about replacing the stator (other then use new gaskets everywhere?), What else should I replace while there (rotor? More?)

Looks like A Poor boy kit cost the same as a new stator, just easier to install and maintain right?

Background:

Some AxxHole sold me a 1985 GL1200 Aspencade with a bad stator without telling me (any advice how to deal with him?). I didn’t even get home, stuck roadside. I measure 12V at battery at all RPMs and The stator measures low resistance to ground (unplugged). Seattle area.

Thanks for the education. Your all helpful. jerry

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

(any advice how to deal with him?)
Let him ride in the back pushing

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

Poor boy every time. My stator went, closely followed by my mate's. Too unreliable, and I'd hate to go to all that work and have it fail again. Steve

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Before you do anything, do a little checking. Battery condition, cable tightness and clean connections, was the 3 yellow wire fix done. Things like that. You may doing a lot of unnecessary work.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

My GL1200 is all stock. no Accessories, fully charged battery. Stator wire connected removed (tested after cutting wires for a "un-connected stator test" = all 3 wires shorted to ground).

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

The stock stator went out @ 51K in my 86-I, due solely to the connector by the battery. (IMO) I replaced it and the clutch at the same time, and hard-wired the connection. With regular oil changes every 3 > 4k miles I think it will outlive me.

I now have 81K on the bike and I still get 14vdc at the battery @ 1700 rpm.

BUT, if it were me. I'd go with the Poor-Boy. Unless you're a real stickler and just have to keep it original. The ones I've seen converted, you have to look for the alternator. Easier to maintain and greater out-put make it a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

gl1200/badstator wrote:
Question first: Is replacing the Stator that bad/hard or just 10+++ hours of work removing and reinstalling the heavy motor? (Any special equipment needed? Or is a 2 person lift OK)

Is it hard, no not really, actually interesting project if you have nothing better to do, you could do with am extra set of hands, I didn't exactly lift mine I wheeled it out steadied on a wheel jack then blocked it on the floor and did the work there.

AND will I need to do it again soon? I hear heavy-duty stators are available (any recommendations where to get on I can trust?) But will it last?

Will you need to do it soon, it depend on what your idea of soon is, mine was the next 70,000 k
Will it last.... do you hear of many lasting? but you might be lucky.

Any other advice about replacing the stator (other then use new gaskets everywhere?), What else should I replace while there (rotor? More?)

Other than the main gasket, the muffler gaskets and the exhaust crush gaskets I can't think of anything

Looks like A Poor boy kit cost the same as a new stator, just easier to install and maintain right?

A Poorboy might cost you more, if you purchase a new alternator.
Yes it would be very easy to repair if your on the road, there are always auto alternator shops who can repair them quite quickly.

Background:

Some AxxHole sold me a 1985 GL1200 Aspencade with a bad stator without telling me (any advice how to deal with him?). I didn’t even get home, stuck roadside. I measure 12V at battery at all RPMs and The stator measures low resistance to ground (unplugged). Seattle area.

That's not a nice thing to do, but when you buy as is which is probably what you did there isnt much you can do.

Thanks for the education. Your all helpful. jerry

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the World's best GoldWing forum gl1200/badstatorfrom another Puget Sounder.

Sorry to hear the seller was not upfront about the stator. I hope you got a good price on the bike anyway.

I personally prefer to keep the bike operating the way it was designed, so I would and have gone with a high output replacement stator. I've done three of them on three different bikes. It's not particularly difficult, but it is time consuming, especially if you haven't done it before. I like the Electrosport stator myself.
http://www.electrosport.com/products/product-detail-416.php

What else you might want to change, check your clutch plates. It's a good time to change them if their getting thin. Also, rebuild your clutch master and slave cylinders. You're going to have to bleed that system anyway and many of these bikes have not had the fluids changed at proper intervals, and also due to age, the seals may be getting seepy. You'll probably want new o-rings for the carb manifolds, and it's a great time to do timing belts as well. Might consider new radiator hoses too.

How to handle the seller, if you have his original ad and it states the bike was in good working order, you have a small chance of winning in small claims court, but they usually lean towards the "buyer beware" side, so you're likely to not win. You might tell the seller you're considering taking him to court and he might give you a little money back, but that too is unlikely. Worth an email or a phone call to find out though.

John

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

if your a mechanic its not a bad job...can be done in a day or weekend with a floorjack
extra pair of hands is good...make sure you route the stator wires inside perfectly.
i personally would go poor boy...set it and forget it....the stator will eventually go again....and might go immediately...like one of my 1st r&r's...play it again sam!!...
with the poorboy the bike will run for eternity........i think they have good reputation
on the 4 bangers this is the 1st question to ask.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.