Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
On the '87s, (and only the 87s) there's parts preventing the rear case from sliding off. The stoppage you're feeling in on the final output shaft.

Take a look at the on-line parts fiche's.. There's a bolt and bolt-lock on the final drive that prevents the output shaft from coming out of the gears. To access it you have to remove the side cover (just under the fuel pump).

It sucks, I know.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Before you take the side cover off...

Try removing the oil-seal (the one around the final output shaft). You may damage the oil-seal beyond usage in doing so. But they're like $10-$15 new. So get one anyway.

There may be a snap-ring that's holding it on. Try there first.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Glad you got the cover off.

When you put the new stator in....

1. Clean-up the hole where the stator wires come through the cover.
2. Put a little oil on the o-ring on the stator wires. This will let it slide into that hole better.
3. Do NOT start the screws securing the stator to the cover until you've pulled the wires through and secured the plug with a snap ring on the outside of the cover.
4. Now put the screws securing the stator in.

In case you haven't guessed... I've replaced a stator or two.... The latest.. surprise, surprise.. an '87 Aspy.

P.S. Before re-installing the engine... inspect the clutch slave cylinder, make sure it's clean.

·
Registered
113 Posts
When I pull/replace engines in a 1200. I deviate from the books a little.

Before I remove the engine, I pull the rear wheel, and then the rear "pumpkin". This allows me to remove the u-joint from the back of the engine. This allows me the space to remove the engine without removing the front timing belt covers.

Re-installing the engine, I reverse it. It's a pain in the backside trying to get bolts aligned and connecting the u-joint all at once. Taking the u-joint out of the equation simplifies it.

The frame will twist slightly as you get all the bolts and mounts tightened. So make sure you have them all started before you start torquing them down.

Make sure the main ground wire is clean. Make sure you put di-electric grease in the fan motor connection. Well.. any connection for that matter. Might as well.

As for your connector.. solder it.. might as well. You might want to hold of on soldering until you've got the bike together and are confident it'll stay together for a while before soldering.

I know a lot of people are tempted to add lights and wizbands and assorted frufru to these bikes back in the day. To me, they looked gaudy.. and as cheap as those lights and stuff were made, I think they contributed to stator burn-out as much as anything.

·
Registered
113 Posts
To remove/install the engine, I bought a transmission jack. Combined with removing the u-joint, the engine rolls out the side quite nicely.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.