Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

if i go an put an alternator on the bike 1200 86 should the old startor be removed? looks like to me if you leave the burned up startor in the engine it's still trying to work and putting the crude from it into your engine?? just wonder i haven't seen anything on it. :shock:

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,640 Posts
imported post

If you leave the yellow wires unterminated, sealed to prevent any shorts, AND assuming you have tested it for shorted windings, then no. It is just fine.

Actually, if it has an internal short, it isn't going to produce any power much at all. it would run cooler.

leave it alone, why split the engine just to remove it? Assuming the bolt is still tight, leave it alone.

JMO

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
If you leave the yellow wires unterminated, sealed to prevent any shorts, AND assuming you have tested it for shorted windings, then no. It is just fine.

Actually, if it has an internal short, it isn't going to produce any power much at all. it would run cooler.

leave it alone, why split the engine just to remove it? Assuming the bolt is still tight, leave it alone.

JMO
I agree with John. Mine has been in place since it died 3 years ago and I haven't had any problems. The poorboy works great! Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

I have heard of removing the heavy components of the rotor, supposedly improving throttle response because that weight no longer has to be spun up.

The stator and it's connections can be left in place but unplug the regulator.
This way if your out in the sticks and alt belt breaks or external craps out you can plug in the internal as a backup.

Personally I dont see any reason why the internal should be unplugged except as used for a backup, it's output would help the external to work less.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

"Personally I dont see any reason why the internal should be unplugged except as used for a backup, it's output would help the external to work less."

When the stators go faulty, they will not put out a proper charge and would probably drain power rather than add to it. They will sometimes give a small charge with no lights or ancillaries on- so could be reconnected to give a daylight emergancy get you home facility, should the external system go wrong (unlikely).Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.