Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all,

I have a question regarding the stator wiring on a GL1200. As recommended on the forum, I was replacing the wiring block beside the battery that often goes faulty, and while stripping the wire to solder it in place, one of the wires pulled straight out of the back of the stator. It was already eaten, and it was obvious that it had seen better days. (So had the wiring block that had been cut out minutes before...) Does this mean removing the engine to get at the stator so that wire can be soldered back in? Futhermore, the bike was just bought this week and I have not tested the stator yet. Is it safe to run the bike without this wire long enough to test the charging capacity? I don't want to take the engine out more times than I have to... Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,486 Posts
imported post

I personally would NOT run the bike in this condition!! Furthur, there is no way to test the stator unless you have all three yellow wires available to check! I'd pull the engine and replace the stator as it seems to be fried....

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

If that wire pulled out and "was already fried" then the stator is toast. The charging system and that 3 wire connector next to the battery are the first things that should be checked when looking to buy a GL1200.. Sorry but, as others have said, you will have to pull the engine to replace the stator on the 1200.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

If I understand this rightone of the yellow wires broke off at the stator cover and there is no third wire coming out of the stator housing?

If this is the case then yes you have to pull the motor to get to the stator wire.

If the wires are that bad I would just go ahead and replace the stator.

Starting the bike up and running it with the stator wire broke off in the cover may cause a short. Thats if there is still a short piease of the wire hanging off the stator inside.

OR you could do a poor boy mod......guess it's a case of the lesser of two evil's:?

Kurt

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

One other thing. It's ok to run the engine for testing to gauge the general mechanical and ignitions systems. You sure aren't going to hurt the charging system any more. Just be sure your battery is fully charged. A perfectly running 1200 will run like crap below about 11 volts and probably won't run below 9 or 10.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
imported post

On a slightly more positive note William1200,( although it does sound as tho it is an "engine out" scenario here), as jdvorchack said, you should be able to run the bike with a charged battery to check other work you may be doing to the bike....however (unless you choose the separate alternator way) if the engine needs to come out for the replacement or rebuild of the stator (as mine did), you have heeeeps of knowledge on this site to help you, ...there are other worthwhile jobs doing at the same time also. I am sure one of the "how to" forums also covers this with piccys....

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks everybody for all the advice! This is pretty much what I expected/ feared. I kind of saw problems coming when I paid only $1500 for it, but then again how many original GL1200 standards are still out there? I'm hoping that if this and the rusted frame rail by the side stand are it, it should be worth it in the end. The bike has just less than 20,000 miles on it, so hopefully no more surprises!

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
imported post

Hey Williamgl1200, if you are able to do the work necessary to get the bike up to the standard you want, then you know EXACTCLY what you have got.....great project.....just luv 'em and 'Wings too... as we all do here. Give it heaps..!!, then ride it up to the PO and say "take a look at this buddy!!, then ride off into the sunset....(just don't stall!!)

:D
Peter.

·
Premium Member
3,486 Posts
imported post

Williamgl1200 wrote:
I kind of saw problems coming when I paid only $1500 for it, but then again how many original GL1200 standards are still out there?

A Standard??? You didn't mention anything about a,,,,,,,,,,, STANDARD!!!!!:shock:

One of the unfufilled loves of my life!! Here's a pic of me with one that belongs to the one and ONLY Don "Poorboy" Piggott when we met in Barberville, Fla. during December '09!!!

And no... Although he had 2 more Standards at the time,he didn't want to sell this one!! And I don't blame him!!!!!:cool::cool:How about some pic's of yours??

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Yeah. That's the hope.I realized there was work involved as soon as I figured out it was silver. (the standards only came in red and black). Now, I just need to figure out where I can buy a replacement for the frame rail that I found to be rusted out.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Here's a picture of what it looked like before hand:

I just bought it, so not many pics yet. Right now, the engine is on its way out due to the stator failure. I got as far as the exhaust pipes tonight, it'll have to shed a lot more partsbefore the engine will come out. Hopefully, it will be a good chance to look over it though.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Haha! And I just noficed you are from VA, this bike came from Abingdon. I hope I didn't buy it out from under you if you were still in the market for one!

·
Premium Member
3,486 Posts
imported post

A good place to get a stator is from http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/. I believe glhonda has installed about 5 stators from them with no failures to date. And if you're gonna change the stator, I'd change the regulator also as they've both got about the same amount of abuse!!

Try here for the OEM Shindengen model: http://www.regulatorrectifier.com/catalog/. Contact them to make sure you get the correct OEM model/brand!!

Good luck with her!!!

·
Premium Member
3,486 Posts
imported post

Williamgl1200 wrote:
Haha! And I just noficed you are from VA, this bike came from Abingdon. I hope I didn't buy it out from under you if you were still in the market for one!

BALLS!!!! FOILED AGAIN!!!! :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Great! I looked them up.At the sametime, I already found the rusted frame membersupporting the kickstand for $25 on Ebay. It looks like things are coming together. Wow. I've got to get to bed if I expect to be in church, have a great night!

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
imported post

Well, ...ok then....guess you won't be going the alternator way then...???unless.......can you strap 'em to your back??? :ROFL: Fabulous project tho, and let us know if we can help.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Thanks Groutby, yes, I would like to keep things looking as stock as possible, so I'll hold off on the poorboy for now. An eventual hope would be to have the bike repainted it's original black color as well. But that can be taken care of after the mechanical issues are solved.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,768 Posts
imported post

Not to cast too negative a light on things, but while you have the motor out, check the frame and swingarm for rust. If the frame member on the side is rusted it stands to reason...

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
imported post

That left side lower frame member is an open tube at both ends, it is not sealed. Either end is a good place to let water in andthere is no drain. If the bike has some miles in heavy rains, frog stranglers, gulley washers, etc ..... and water remains, rust starts.

This is another of the many mods I have made to my 1200 some 15 years ago.I had that frame rail off in 1997 while replacing my bike's statorand that's when I noticed the open ends and no drain port. Even beck then, I had read of rusty members on the GWRRA Board.

The tube is crimped and welded at the ends, just not "closed".
I sealed the ends, seems likeI used about a half tube of silicone sealer from a calk gun type tube between both ends. Then, after it was hardened or cured well, I turned it upside down, drilled a 7/32 hole on the frame rail in the thick area near the stand mount, threaded it 1/4-20 for a plug. I then pumped in about a pint of slightly used motor oil and no leaks out the ends. Put a small sealing washer on my bolt and plugged it.No leaks yet, so the oil is still there and thus, no rusting.

My 1200 was a garage kept 25,000 mileveteran when I got it in 1995 and since then it has only spent a night outside at a Motel under cover or when I was riding it on a moonlight ride, she resides in the basement with a dehumidifier with the Trident.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
imported post

Williamgl1200 wrote:
Thanks Groutby, yes, I would like to keep things looking as stock as possible, so I'll hold off on the poorboy for now. An eventual hope would be to have the bike repainted it's original black color as well. But that can be taken care of after the mechanical issues are solved.
Looks good ! If I'ld have seen it first, might not be yours now.

;)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.