Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I am in the process of buying a GL1200, 1986 Aspercade. Do they have the same problems with the stators as the GL1100. What other major problems should I be aware of?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,527 Posts
imported post

The charging system is indeed the main problem area on the GL1200's. The area's where this will show up is the stator connector, located to the left of the battery. The regulator connector located under the tank fairing, and the starter selinoid connector located to the right of the battery. All of these have a tendancy to overheat, burn and fail causing either stator/regulator failure or the bike simply not being able turn on due to one connector or the other failing....

The good news is you can eliminate the chances of component/connector failure dramaticly by simply removing the connectors and hardwire/solder/heatshrink insulate all the wires involved!!

Let us know what you need and we'll help out!! :coollep:

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Thanks Don,I'm buying this bike from my son-in-law. It only has 32,000 miles on it.

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
imported post

It is the 1200s that have the stator problems, not 1100s.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Dave is right, the GL1200 is the one that gave the stator problems.
By the way, post your side panel wanted request in the for sale forum. That's the right place for them as they are not allowed in the Technical forum, and will probably get deleted.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

The 1200 goldwings have a problem with the voltage regulator which causes the stator to go out.That voltage regulator sends all extrs voltage to ground.That makes a heavey load for the altenator.At this web site you can get a new kind of regulator that only uses voltage as you need it.check it out. http://roadstercycle.com

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

dudeboy wrote:
The 1200 goldwings have a problem with the voltage regulator which causes the stator to go out.That voltage regulator sends all extrs voltage to ground.That makes a heavey load for the altenator.At this web site you can get a new kind of regulator that only uses voltage as you need it.check it out. http://roadstercycle.com
Nope..

The stator/alternator delivers full power all the time at 3000RPM

The culprit we think..... is the connector on the three yellow wires on the left side of the battery, also the connector carrying the three yellow wires at the regulator.

Once these connectors start losing connectivity the wiring and the connectors heat up and the problems begin.

If you can fix them in time, the alternator MIGHT be saved.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
imported post

It's not a huge problem at that. My '85 is going on 28 years old, I replaced the stator in a few hours each night after work over a period of 3 - 4 days in 1997.

It was flawless before, it has beenflawless since. :yelling:

Itwill not hurt to bypass the connectors between the stator and voltage reg/rectifier with sound quality well insulated splices. It will help if the plugs show signs f degredation / overheating due to maybe corrosive effects of moisture / battery vent fumes and loosened crimps where the terminals are crimped on. When I replaced my stator in 1997, I also installed a new plug adjacent to the battery after dissassembling them and soldering those crimps holding the wire strands to the male or female connectors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.