Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....so we made a decent tool from a 30mm socket to adjust the steering bearing nut on my gl1500. After a couple hours grinding we had a good fit and it worked fine. So we tried it on my buds gl1200 and it also fit just fine but his 1200 only had one nut under the rubber cap. No lock washer and lock nut. We did the fork resistance test using a digital scale from side to side and it was a bit out of range on one side but not terribly(wing world archives). We concluded he could ride a bit longer but at 80,000 go ahead and order new bearings. SO I am still thinking about that single nut holding the entire triple tree together with no lock washer above it. Is this normal for a 1986 gl1200? Also there was not enough room on the stem for another nut. Could some of you 1200 gurus let me know how this thing is supposed to look? This buddy is 70 years old and a bit forgetful and I don't want him riding anything unsafe.Thanks a bunch!

·
Administrator
27,936 Posts
Yes it should have a lock nut and washer.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
If you're asking about the nut on top of the fork bridge it's just a flat washer and nut.

If you're asking about under the fork bridge it's the same two nuts with a tabbed washer between them that your 1500 uses.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fellows. We found that the PO for the 1200 had used two slotted adjustment type nuts, one in place of the lock washer. The correct parts are on the way!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.