Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey guys! let me give some details before I get to my question. I recently picked up a 84 Aspy that had sat for 2 years indoors. All in all it's a good bike. I have rebuild both clutch and brake master cylinder, replaced the timing belts and resealed the motor. Getting to my question. The previous owner bought a newer model 86 or 87 and sold me his 84. When he recieved the newer bike the radio wasn't working. So he pulled out the the 84's radio and installed it in the 86. When i turn on the radio it powers up but has no sound and the tape deck motor doesn't turn. I down loaded a manual for the radio but it was for the rm-1100, but I have the rm-1300. Will the manuals cross between the different models? I have heard yes and no. Check the pin layout from the diagram on the rm-11 manual they all seem to be the same except for 2. One is the ACC and the other B+ terminals, the both show to chassis ground? Is this correct.

Thanks,

James

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum James. I always understood that any GL1200 radio will work in all GL1200s.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
imported post

Get with Sierra Electronics M/C 1-800-338-6938 These people fixed my radio and cassette on my 85 1200 LTD if anyone can help you they can.They work on all kinds of motorcycle radios and Goldwings too.

·
Vendor
680 Posts
imported post

The schematics for the 2 radios are quite a bit different. There were several changes in grounds and IC's used. There are several things that could be causing the problem you describe. Without having the radio on the bench I cannot make any suggestions on what to look for.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum James. No help here on your radio, i have a Interstate and have been humming to myself for 25 years plus now. Just wanted to say welcome.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

Double check the connectors at the radio mount. They do tend to open-up and make poor contact with the radioif it's removed and re-inserted frequently. Otherwise, I'd say to contact "Sierra". They did a great job on my 84 Aspencade stereoyears ago.

Wayne already responded to your post... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for the input guys! I have contacted Sierra but I am concerned that if I send it and the radios are not compatible throughout the years and I will still be out a radio. Maybe Sierra can clarify this for me?

James

·
Vendor
680 Posts
imported post

They are all interchangeable 84 thru 87, RM-1100 to RM-1350, just that some are better than others. The RM-1100 had many design problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.