Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So I am looking at an 86 Interstate that is stuck in 1st gear. The guy has done a lot of work to it, belts, flds, tires took it out and rode it for 15 mins and now it won't come out of first gear. Any ideas what it maybe? He's asking $1500 and looks good in the pictures, I haven't seen in person yet. Thanks everyone

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

That could either be a couple of hours work, or it could be engine removal. If the shifter is stuck under the front engine cover, you will be in luck. Anything more and you will be pulling and stripping the engine, and that isn't easy.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

The PO could have a good idea that the problem means engine out, and that's why he wants to get rid of the bike.

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

Previous post's are spot on. You didn't say if he's running floor-boards or a Heel-Toe set-up, (could be a linkage issue). But for that price you should have a look at the bike anyway... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

To clarify are you saying the PO took it for a ride and then it stuck. Curious as to how it was advertised etc.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,751 Posts
imported post

I would at least go and take a real close look at it. GL12 trannies are pretty much indestructable, so you may find it's something simple and have a real bargain.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
583 Posts
imported post

If you remove engine cover that the water pump and oil filter are mounted on, you will find the neutral switch, the cam that operates it also has small forks on it, held in place by a small springs, one of the springs failed on my 1200 12 years ago, with the same fault stuck in gear, 3rd in my case, nice cheap and easy fix.

As others have said the box is bomb proof so personally I would look at simple problems first.

Nick

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

my 87 1200 hung up in first gear when i first bought it, i reached down grabbed the shift lever a couple of hard jerks and it return to neutral. thats been 4,000 miles ago and never a problem. i have had those transmissions apart and they are very hardy, i am inclined to think its something simple in the linkage. that being said i think the bike is over priced. the riding season is over in many areas and the price of bikes are going down. many people are being hit hard by the economy, if a person takes their time there are good values. walkabout :)

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
imported post

I have to agree with Bike....And Dennis. That bike is probably not worth the asking price. I would keep looking for a better bike for that kind of money

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks everyone. Already have my 86 GL running great, this one would just be another to add to the sable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.