Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this issue that came on suddenly. The other day I had to pull to the side of the highway to secure an unlatched saddlebag. When I was done I had to accelerate hard to merge back on the highway. Close to redline, but not harder than what the bike can handle. Got up to speed no problems like normal but then a minute later I started getting bad hesitation when I tried to roll on the throttle fast, like the bike was fuel starved. Pulled in the clutch and she revs up good strong and fast with no hesitation but under load now anytime I try to get on the throttle the engine just sputters.

Only thing I have done so far is replace the fuel filter, and I have run through the tank of gas already that it happened with. I really haven't had time to check anything else yet.

Before I go on the hunt is there anything I should look at first that would cause this sudden hesitation? Again I can rev the engine hard and quick in neutral, but when I'm going through gears with a load on it she seems like she is fuel starved. I can cruise at a constant speed but as soon as I hit the throttle it stumbles and makes it hard to accelerate.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Try temporarily by-passing the fuel shut-off valve... They commonly go bad, causing the fuel supply to be reduced or completely shut off.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
I have this issue that came on suddenly.
You need to change your bike description, I don't know anything about the "None yet" motorcycles.
I'm assuming from your previous posts, it's an '87 gl1200?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just an update, I haven't really had time this weekend to do much but did throw some seafoam in the tank Sat night and rode around for a little bit to get it in to the carbs. Bike has sat since then and I won't be able to get on it until tomorrow since it's pouring here.

Figured if it's a partial clog somewhere this would be a good second step to my fuel filter change before I start digging further into the bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,332 Posts
I've seen symptoms like this in a friends '84A. It was just water in the bowls. If so, SeaFoam should fix yours.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.