Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I have a 86 GL1200A, and I have a bunch of questions, here we go.
One of my swing arm caps is missing, I purchased a set of them. Is there something I should do to make sure they don't fall out? I need a new seat, they have one on ebay for $371.00, it's a saddleman I think,Is this a good seat?Lastly for now, the bike only has 32,000 miles on it besides changing the fluids and tuning it up is there something I really need to do right away?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
The saddleman is a good well known brand.
Even though it only has 32k miles unless you know for fact when the timing belts were changed you should replace them. They are not expensive if you find a Gate or similar belt at the local auto parts store. Do a search on the cross-over part list.

Under the left side battery cover, just to the left of the battery, is a white connector with 3 yellow wires. If that connector is still there you should consider removing that connector and soldering the wires together. That connector is problematic and when they get corroded the usual result is a stator failure. Which is common to all metric bikes of the era.

you should probably pick one item at a time and start a post on each.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
as for the swing arm caps. I have no direct experience with them. I thought they just popped in and were held with friction.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
I lost one swing arm cap on my 1200 over 26 years. I noticed it when I picked it up from service so who knows for sure if I popped it out with my foot somehow or if it was removed by someone. If it was accidentally popped out, it was just once. I would suggest using rubbing alcohol to clean the mating metal parts prior to assembly and I might try something like a bead of automotive rubber molding cement on the tube prior to sliding in the cap. I would think that would set-up and hold but also allow for removal with a tool and also easy enough cleanup of the cement if you later desired.

Ride safe!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.