Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the bearings in the swingarm or the frame?
how do I change them?

Thought while I am changing the final drive would be a good time to change these. if I can.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
On a 1200 the bearings are in the swing arm. But it is anything but easy to get to them. You have to remove the rear part of the exhaust system to get the swing arm off, and if it is anything like mine was, that exhaust will be welded together by heat and rust. You will need a special tool for the left side pivot (it's easy to make out of a piece of pipe, it will become obvious what you need when you remove the cap) Once you get the swing arm off, you need to pry off the grease seals with a straight screwdriver, and the bearings come right out. You will need new grease seals to reinstall them. The book says to reinstall the swingarm temporarily and tighten down the pivot bolt to seat the bearings, then remove it, and reinstall it the way it came off. Don't forget to put the U-joint back in first.

Before going through all that, while you have the rear wheel and shocks off, I would just work the swing arm up and down, and wiggle it side to side, and if it moves freely with almost no side to side play, I'd leave it as is.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On a 1200 the bearings are in the swing arm. But it is anything but easy to get to them. You have to remove the rear part of the exhaust system to get the swing arm off, and if it is anything like mine was, that exhaust will be welded together by heat and rust. You will need a special tool for the left side pivot (it's easy to make out of a piece of pipe, it will become obvious what you need when you remove the cap) Once you get the swing arm off, you need to pry off the grease seals with a straight screwdriver, and the bearings come right out. You will need new grease seals to reinstall them. The book says to reinstall the swingarm temporarily and tighten down the pivot bolt to seat the bearings, then remove it, and reinstall it the way it came off. Don't forget to put the U-joint back in first.

Before going through all that, while you have the rear wheel and shocks off, I would just work the swing arm up and down, and wiggle it side to side, and if it moves freely with almost no side to side play, I'd leave it as is.
sounds good I will check the free play first while I change the final drive that's next months project.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did it. I changed the final drive the newer one had a leaking oil seal so it was a mess. It took me a while to get it clean with K-1 and a tooth brush.

Put a new seal on the newish final drive dumped the black oil added new oil and sea foam ran then changed the oil x2.

If you ever find you have put to axle back on the bike and hand tightened the nut then forgot to torque that thing then you ride and feel a thump shimmy during a low speed sharp turn you need to remove the tire and check the spider gear in the tire it my be bound up like mine was. I pulled the spider gear turned and replaced I still have some vibration but think it may be the tire tread on the Michelin commander II rear tire as the tread changes on the edge. No slipping in the rain.
:?Very mild vibration on corners under some power.:?

Moly 60'ed the final drive. Changed the drive and shaft and spider gear. Carbs need work.

BTW the tire is properly installed at this time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.