Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know my current tank has rust issues. My freshly cleaned shiny carbs started to have leaky float valve. Pulled the carbs off and found rust sediment at the bottom. Bike runs OK, and do not want to mess with the carbs more until the tank rust issue is resolved.

My plan is to take my time restoring a spare tank to pristine condition and then install it on my bike so that the bike won't be down long. I bought a "pretty clean" tank on ebay. On the outside it looked brand new. On the inside, well that's a different story. It shipped with a gas cap and fuel sender, and about 1 cup of very rusty looking gas inside. After removing the sender I got all the gas out. Much of the area I could see through the holes had no rust. The upper half of the tank had a good coating a surface rust. I could not see the top, but assume it has surface rust.

I removed the petcock and plugged all the holes. I am attempting to use electrolysis to remove all the rust. So far it seems to be working pretty well.

My bigest concern is the metal pickup tube inside the tank. The outside of this tube appears to be in good shape, but it looked like there was some rust on the inside from what I could see when I removed the fuel petcock.

How can I get the inside of this tube rust free?

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
rust free tank! guaranteed!

hi

greetings from the uk!

i did a lot of research on tank
lining kits.

1) kreem, por15 all fail badly with ethonol.

i contacted a company in the uk
called 'sureseal' this is two pack
apoxy and it's the same stuff that
lines ethonol tanks (100% ethonol)
stored without any problem.

the guy in the uk has put some
installation videos on utube.
he does ship abroad and I've
personally used this on two kz's
tanks with great success!

1) the secret is to get the tank well cleaned
out, bone dry and plugged and
very warm to the touch.
i created a heating environment
by the positioning the tank on
a wire frame above an oil filled
radiator. i then put an old rug to
encapsulate the heat.left it to
make the tank quite hot to
touch but not burning!

2) the final stage is to measure
out the sureseal and hardener
and heat it up in a microwave.

see the full installation videos on utube!

then pour the hot liquid into the hottish
tank and plug the filler top.
rotate the tank in all directions
making sure you cover all nooks
and crannies!

**** watch the sureseal videos on
utube ****

the tanks lining will set hard
and totally impervious to
100% ethonol!

best wishes

Angel

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,344 Posts
I have a couple questions, just for my reference.
What year is the bike, and what year is the spare tank?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
My bigest concern is the metal pickup tube inside the tank. The outside of this tube appears to be in good shape, but it looked like there was some rust on the inside from what I could see when I removed the fuel petcock.

How can I get the inside of this tube rust free?
The fuel filter will handle the small amount of rust in the pickup tube so I wouldn't worry about it.

The pickup tube in a Goldwing tank is part of the tank and has a screen on the end. Coating the inside would likely plug the screen so think twice before trying that.

·
Registered
173 Posts
soke it in apple cidder vineger for a day. rinse blow out.repeat if necessary.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dennis - my bike is an 84. The year of the spare tank was only specified as 84-87. I do not know what year the donor bike was.

So far the electrolysis seems to be working.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The cidder if gotten inside the tube will brake the ruts down. and can be washed out, not sure about ure methode.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I've always used muriatic acid in rusty tanks. It will definitely remove rust. There is no tank coating I can recommend, especially with ethanol gas.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,344 Posts
Dennis - my bike is an 84. The year of the spare tank was only specified as 84-87. I do not know what year the donor bike was.

So far the electrolysis seems to be working.
Make sure your '84 petcock fits correctly. '87 tank is different and and '84 petcock won't work on it.
You'd hate to go through the trouble of putting a new tank in just to find out it won't bolt up.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
i have used old speedometer cable to clean out the lines just chuck it in a drill then start slow and keep feeding cable in till you are sure that its touching screen on both lines works good for me and be sure to blow thru both lines with air hose

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dennis - Good to know the '87 petcock won't fit on an '84. The spare tank came with a petcock, gascap and fuel sender. Again, I do not know what year the donor tank is. The petcock on the donor tank looks a little different than the one on my '84. I was plannng on using the one that came with it because the lever is a little bigger and looks better. I just hope the tank itself will fit. So far I see no obvious differences.

Doodle0407 - This is a great idea. The only old speedo cable I have is the one in use :). I will ask aorund some buddies that have old parts bikes.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,344 Posts
Yeah, sounds like you got an '87 tank. You have to use the petcock that came with it. If the petcock doesn't work...and many of them don't...you will have to repair it. Hose size is bigger on the '87 model, so you will nee to do a step down or something when you get to the filter.

Keep in mind in the future that there were many changes made from year to year, and many parts do not interchange. Especially on the '84s and '87s. When an add says "Fits'84-'87", I usually avoid the seller.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.