Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

This past winter, I had taken the engine to my 84 Aspencade out for some maintenance. The fairing was also removed.
After all was put back together, I found that my fuel pump had gone bad because the fuel pump relay burned a hole in itself.
I have it all back together, runs like a Goldwing should, but I have no temp gauge.
I've checked the connection at the sending unit, and all connections between the frame and faring seem to be good and tight.
Can someone tell me what wiring I should be looking for and what the test is to see if my problem is gauge, sending unit or wiring.
Thank you so much for your help.

·
Administrator
27,889 Posts
Ground the wire to the sending unit, the gauge should go to full hot. If not I believe there is a connector where everything that goes to the engine plugs in, you may have partially pulled it loose.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Does your oil warning lamp work, and does the cooling fan cycle?

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know if the fan cycles on and off, but I took it for a ride last night, and when I was coming up my drive, I heard the fan running.
I'll check the wiring connections again, but was sure I had them tight.
Will check tomorrow when I get home from work.
Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took a look at the connections tonight.
All seem to be good and tight.
The oil pressure light does operate, and the fan is not on when the bike is cold, but does come on after the engine has been running a while. Not sure if it cycles though.
I wasn't sure which wire from the sending unit to short to ground, so I jumpered across each wire, and grounded each wire individually, none of which made the temp gauge do anything.
To test them, I unplugged the boot from the sending unit, and with the ignition on, jumped each to the engine guard.
What should I try next?
I'm wanting to ride, but not comfortable riding if I don't know if I'm overheating or not.
Thanks again for your help.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
The oil pressure light does operate, and the fan is not on when the bike is cold, but does come on after the engine has been running a while. Not sure if it cycles though.
I wasn't sure which wire from the sending unit to short to ground, so I jumpered across each wire, and grounded each wire individually, none of which made the temp gauge do anything.
To test them, I unplugged the boot from the sending unit, and with the ignition on, jumped each to the engine guard.
What should I try next?
I'm wanting to ride, but not comfortable riding if I don't know if I'm overheating or not.
If it was running hot, the coolant would boil out.

·
Administrator
27,889 Posts
What should I try next?
There is a 6 pin red connector, I believe on the left side of the frame near the steering head. The wire is green/black, try grounding it there, next is the connection to the fairing, not sure which one there.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
There is a 6 pin red connector, I believe on the left side of the frame near the steering head. The wire is green/black, try grounding it there, next is the connection to the fairing, not sure which one there.
According to the schematic the wire is green and has a blue tube identifying it at the connector.
The connector at the fairing is the white 13pin on the left side of the fairing.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info.
I'll give that all a shot tonight when I get home.

According to the schematic the wire is green and has a blue tube identifying it at the connector.
The connector at the fairing is the white 13pin on the left side of the fairing.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally had time to pull the fake tank off and ground the green/black wire.
The temp gauge did nothing.
I did check all 3 connectors going into the faring, and all were good and tight.
Where would I check now? Did the gauge go bad over the winter?
Thank you so much for your help.

·
Administrator
27,889 Posts
Where would I check now? Did the gauge go bad over the winter?
You will need to pull the dash and check continuity from there to the sender, then it is possible the gauge went bad.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Remove the headlight. You can access your LCD connectors there.
As Tricky stated, there is a green/blue tracer in the white 13 pin connector. You need to ground that wire and check for gauge indication. Grounding the green/black is on the ground side of the sender. If the sender is open electrically or "cold", the gauge isn't going to read.
Too bad Honda didn't have the foresight to provide a diagnostic program for the display. Cars of this vintage had the capability.

·
Administrator
27,889 Posts
I have a hard time identifying the color on my sorry aftermarket wiring diagram, sorry.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.