Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recently swapped my Yamaha Venture forthe 85 Aspencade. I rode it to town today to replenish my supply of Seafoam. While in town I noticed that the coolant temperature scale was showing 6 bars. I've noticed this before and have been meaning to ask about that.

I sold my '86 in 1999with 256,000 miles on it, but I don't remember it running that warm. Seems to me about 3 or 4 bars was normal.

Am I correct? or is my memory bad?

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,486 Posts
imported post

That sounds about normal.. Mine runs about 3/4 up on the temp guage if not higher if I'm in some stop and go traffic but drops to about 3-4 bars at highway speed...

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

My 85 Aspy runs at 5 bars and peaks at 6 while running down the highway. When the fan kicks in it drops to 5.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

This makes me think there may be something wrong with mine. I only run 2-3 bars, and never higher than 4 on the hottest day under full load. I wonder if my gauge is "under-reporting" correct temp.:?:?:?:?

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

105 degrees out and I run 3 bars on the highway. 4-5 at stop lights. '86 Aspy, fresh antifreeze, 82K miles. Guess I should note also...about 76 degrees this morning and still hit 3 bars within 1 mile from the house this morning.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

My 1200 LTD runs one bar over middle, one more bar and that's when the fan comes on, when I'm running, it never gets to the point of the fan coming on, but if I stop at a light or stop sign, it comes on, and soon as I start moving again, the fan goes off and the temp gauge goes back to normal, one bar over middle. That's assuming the temp is greater than 65 ish. Any cooler than that and she'll run right in the middle unless the revs are up.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

There seems to be two different reading out there. Some run 5 to 6 bars others run 3 to 4 bars. My 84 runs about 5 bars and if it hits 6 the fan is usually on. The owners manual states normal operating temp is from the 2nd to the 8th bar.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

I agree with jwhitmore44 on there being two different readings on my 86 aspencade it runs 2 to 3 bars average moving and around 4 or 5 bars the fan comes on. :?

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

jwhitmore44 wrote:
The owners manual states normal operating temp is from the 2nd to the 8th bar.
That seems to be quite a range! How many bars are on the temp display? It seems as though the manual could be rewritten to read "Normal operating temperature is between 0 and 500 degrees".:badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

hoodad463 wrote:
jwhitmore44 wrote:
The owners manual states normal operating temp is from the 2nd to the 8th bar.
That seems to be quite a range! How many bars are on the temp display? It seems as though the manual could be rewritten to read "Normal operating temperature is between 0 and 500 degrees".:badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:
You got that right! I think there are 10 bars total (or is it 9). The owners manual says that 1 bar means the bike is warm enough to ride :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.