Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

sometmes i get a tick on left side head goes away after i rev up a little can someone tell me why? btw its a 85 gl1200

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Welcome to this Great Site!

Pull up a chair and join on in!

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

Are the carbs balanced? Have you done any work to it lately? Are the valves adjusted? How long since you changed oil?
Just thinking out loud... More information would be helpful!

Also, Welcome to the forum! This place has answered MANY of my questions, there are some real GURUs on here!

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
imported post

My 1500 started tapping on the left side today. I just noticed it today. Heard it after changing fuel filter and cleaning air filter. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

i keep oil changed regularly...i havent adjusted the valves at all just started the tick not long ago. The only work ive done to it was when i got it i put tires, handgrips, aircleaner and pllugs in it...and I put somme seafoam in gas tank trying to get tick to stop recurring.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

The 1200 gurus should confirm this.. but I do believe the 1200 has hydraulic lifters.. probably hearing one with air in it from time to time..

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
imported post

Can't help ya with the tic-tic Scottyjoe, cause I'm a numb-nut!!!! But I can welcome you to our forum!!!!:waving::waving::waving::waving::waving::waving:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the state of Pennsylvania!

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

:cooldevil:...thanx for the warm welcome to the site... a buddy of mine hooked me up with it and im sure ill be spending alot of time in here...after all I have an '85 goldwing interstate, that needs some TLC and im not very mechanically inclined. So any info you ppl can give me is greatly appreciated!:action:

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
The 1200 gurus should confirm this.. but I do believe the 1200 has hydraulic lifters.. probably hearing one with air in it from time to time..
i'm definately no guru but the 1200's do take shims, no adjustments.

however, he did say he changed plugs. are you sure a wire not loose, jumping spark?

mark:waving:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I'd run some Seafoam in the crankcase for a couple hundred miles and then do an oil and filter change. Just might clean some crap out of the lifters so they pump up fully.

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
imported post

The 1200 does have that intermittent tick that comes and goes. It can drive you crazy if you let it. When I first got my bike and heard it, I spent a lot of time trying to chase it down, now I just ignore it. With more that 112,000 miles (US) on it, I’m convince that it’s not hurting anything and the bike is running great. :action:

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
imported post

My ticking is on the right side, and it turned out to be the asbestos gasket that has deteriorated and started falling out.

The wife and boy has said they have heard the ticking for awhile, but I never heard it until it got loader.

Check that out, it does sound like lifters ticking but it was an exhaust leak

Hope this helps

GOD Bless,
jerry

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

I will just echo what SD and a few others have said. The 1200 has hyd valve lash adjusters, and they can be tempermental at times. As for the shimming---yes, the caps can be shimmed(shims added or removed depending on a measurement you get using a special tool) But that is done mostly after major component changes or extreme wear. Most likely you have a blocked or partially blocked oil gallery that is preventing oil pressure to the hyd adjuster, or there may be some air in one or two. It may eventually clear itself. but if not, there is plenty of info on this forum in the archives. Search and read, and ask questions if you get stumped.

My 1200-when I had it-ticked away most of the time with no detremental effect.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Depending on the type of riding you do, it may well be that some carbon is building up in there. Steady driving, even at 70 mph, can do it. Running some Seafoam through it for a few tanks cleared it right up when I ran into that problem with my 1200s.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I concur with the Seafoam....May have some partial blocked oil passageways. Add it to the crankcase and change out after about 200 miles. If it still drains dirty after filling with fresh oil, do it again. The stuff does wonders. No wonder, they jacked the price up. I'm sure, we had an effect on that.

A cheap and easy fix to try first. I'm all about cheap and easy......

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

dwsonar wrote:
My 1500 started tapping on the left side today. I just noticed it today. Heard it after changing fuel filter and cleaning air filter. Any ideas?
Here is one possibility, check for any loose bolts/nuts around the lower left side of the engine/exhaust area. One of my riding friends was absolutely convinced that his tapping sound was valve problems. Then by accident one day while cleaning his bike, he happened to notice the nuts on the studs that connect the exhaust pipe to the header were loose. He tightened those nuts and it fixed his valve problem........

It's always best to look for the simple things first before digging deeper into problems.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

mikef wrote:
I concur with the Seafoam....May have some partial blocked oil passageways. Add it to the crankcase and change out after about 200 miles. If it still drains dirty after filling with fresh oil, do it again. The stuff does wonders. No wonder, they jacked the price up. I'm sure, we had an effect on that.

A cheap and easy fix to try first. I'm all about cheap and easy......
Yea, I'm paying over 8 bucks a can for it now when last year it was around 6.50.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,277 Posts
imported post

Hi Scotty, welcome to the forum.

As a few have already stated. GL12sjust have an occasional tick. If it gets bad you may have to center the cam. But really...just enjoy the bike and its song. Sometimes I turn the radio off just to hear mine sing.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

i have a left side tick that i was sure was my valves, and while working on tuning my carbs i found that i have a small hole in the bottom of the exhaust. I put my hand as close as could to it, and the exhaust blows out in frequency with the tick. this weekend i break out the welder!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.