Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Large Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed today that the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder is sitting at the lower level. Rather than just fill it, I want to bleed and replace the fluid. My question is what tupperware do I have to remove to get to the bleeder valve and where exactly is it? This hasn't been done in the year I've owned it and have no idea when it was done last so it's time. Same goes for the front brake but I know where all that stuff is. The linked rear/front has already been done.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Remove your two side covers on the left hand side of the bike... You will see the clutch bleeder valve on a long stem coming from the rear of the clutch cover...

For the left front brake, remove the rotor cover (is so equipped) and you will see the bleeder valve on the caliper...

Les

·
Large Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Wilmo on a 1200 you don't need to remove any covers as you have to reach up from under the bike just at the rear of the motor to get to the bleeder, it is rather tight but if you put the bike on the center stand it is easier to reach. I think it is a 8mm bleeder
make sure you turn your bars so your resivoir is at it's highest point and cover the whole left side of the fairing below the bars to protect it from the brake fluid

when I changed mine I just opened the bleeder and let gravity do the work
just don't let air get in the resivoir, it's slow but works good

mine had started acting up, so I decided to do a fluid flush and all was right again

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Gravity is a great way to bleed. If you are flushing the system I would recommend using the system to move any crap that has settled in the slave cylinder/ caliper around and continue to flush it out.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I used an 8mm deep socket on the bleeder screw, it loosened right up. Removed the cover on the master cylinder, and just kept pouring in fluid while it dribbled out through the bleed screw. Tightened the bleeder screw, topped off the MC, put the cover back, and it worked fine. Only tools needed were a Phillips screwdriver, and 8mm socket, extension, and 1/4" ratchet.

I will be looking for another master cylinder soon. I filled a hole in mine where the sight glass crumbled and fell out, now I am noticing some fluid seeping through. Afraid the whole plug may blow out and leave me without a clutch.

·
Large Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Didn't get to see the video before I did the job. It needs a 10mm deep socket for the bleeder screw. I opened the master cylinder reservoir on the clutch and it was extremely dirty. Sucked out the fluid that was in there and had to take a rag to the 'mud' that was in the bottom of the well. Filled it and then just pumped it, bled, pump, bled, etc. until clear fluid came out. Same with the front brake cylinder-'mud' and junk in there all clean now. Test drive was successful, can stop and hold the clutch in for 5 min and no crawl. I consider this a success.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.