Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I fitted new timing belts to a GL1200 last week and made a video of it. I just uploaded it to Youtube and will put up a picture page in a day or three.

·
Deceased 1/2017
1,206 Posts
imported post

Steve, thank you for taking the time to post that!! My wife set and watched that with me and saw what all I did when I changed mine. After it was over she said something very nice, and I quote "That was awfully nice of him to take the time and the effort to post that, with that it will surely save someone a lot of money and time buy seeing how to do it. He is really a nice man to do that!"

You know, I couldn't have said it better myself....:applause::applause::applause:

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

Anim8or Earl wrote:
Great job Steve. Who needs pictures with a video like that?
Pictures and text are also great to have, printed out beside us when working on our Goldwings. I tend to watch the video clips first to get familiar with the job, and print out the pictures and text for when I do the work.
That's a great video, plenty of detail. I watched the full 20 minutes from start to finish.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

Tried to find your pictures of the GL1100 belt replacement on YOUTUBE but couldn't find them. Any suggestions for a link? I want to change the belts on my GL1100 and am searching all the info I can.

Thanks, Gerry

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
imported post

gemairpilot wrote:
Tried to find your pictures of the GL1100 belt replacement on YOUTUBE but couldn't find them. Any suggestions for a link? I want to change the belts on my GL1100 and am searching all the info I can.

Thanks, Gerry
:shock:I'll send you a PM..

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

gemairpilot wrote:
Tried to find your pictures of the GL1100 belt replacement on YOUTUBE but couldn't  find them. Any suggestions for a link? I want to change the belts on my GL1100 and am searching all the info I can.

Thanks, Gerry
It's a GL1200 video that Steve made Gerry. Here is a GL1000 belt change tutorial, the 1100 is much the same. http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum9/17422.html

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
imported post

That is a very good video Steve. I know it must be a pain to make them and it probably makes the job take twice as long. But those videos and photos are of great value to Goldwing owners everywhere.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
imported post

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
imported post

Steve, how do you know how much tension to put on the tensioner? I hope my question makes sense. Otherwords, how do you test it to see if it is tight enough?

Harold

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
imported post

It all seems to be about judgement Harold. Steve hasn't out up the picture page for the 1200 yet, but in the one for the 1500 belts here...

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1500timingbelts.htm

he says (I hope he doesn't mind me quoting) this, and remember this is for the 1500:

"After checking the timing marks again for about the 15th time, adjust the timing belt tensioners next. Loosen the two bolts on each tensioner. The tensioner springs don't usually have enough strength to pull the tensioners up enough to take up the slack in the new belts. I usually give them a gentle push by hand towards the belts to settle them up properly, do not give in to temptation by using screwdrivers or levers for this. You need to have between 5-7mm of play on the long side of each timing belt (opposite each tensioner). Don't overdo it or you risk damaging the tensioner bearings, don't have them too slack either or the belts will slop about and hit the timing belt covers when the engine is running. This part of the job is where previous experience in fitting timing belts is invaluable, otherwise asking a nearby mechanic to set the tension for you is a good idea. Tighten the 12mm bolts when you are satisfied, you will be rechecking the free play when you rotate the engine to check the timing marks again."

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Jaymom wrote:
Steve, how do you know how much tension to put on the tensioner? I hope my question makes sense. Otherwords, how do you test it to see if it is tight enough?

Harold
After changing belts more than once on my GL1100, the best waybI can explain is to remember that they are not fan belts. You don't want to swing out of your timing belt tensioners in the same way. Get the amount of free play as described.
If you are afraid of over or undergoing the tension, call a mechanic in for just that part. Mechanics change timing belts almost every day or week, and will know how to set the tension by feel in a couple of seconds.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

nice work Steve.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

JWayne wrote:
Steve hasn't out up the picture page for the 1200 yet

Maybe tonight I will have it done. Changing the belts is the easy part, editing the pictures takes about five times longer. Dylan edits the video footage (all I do is add the text overlay), without his help it would take me forever. :ssshh:

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Jaymom wrote:

Harold
Jim Wayne and Alan's posts sum that up Harold. The danger is of setting the tension too tight. Most times the belt tension is set wrong, it will be too tight rather than too loose. I've seen that a lot with customers cars after aDIYbelt change. Either they set them too tight, or they set them to the wrong markings. Either way it's a dead engine by the time it gets to the garage.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

I cant thank you enough for your great video! Did my belts today in 3 hours! had to get my radiator rodded out thats the the extra hour. Thank you very very much... really. I am very thankfull. the shop wanted $400 to do this. thank you very much GREAT VIDEO!

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
imported post

Thats a very good video Steve, and with the picture page covers about everything. How much longer did it take to change the belts when you are making a video and photos?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.