Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ive changed the belts on three gl1200s all factory honda belts still looked good but for the price I changed them,Question thought,,,The only thing I noticed was the belts were a little loose.If loosening the tensioners to take up that slack and readjust tension would that have been good enough or with the belts being longer do to age do you think that would throw time sooner or later..Has anyone here had a belt failure??Or do you think that was due to the belts being loose lack tension???

Thoughts??

Ps all three bikes ran fine prior to and after change..

·
Administrator
26,177 Posts
imported post

They are not going to stretch enough to affect timing enough to matter. The slack probably does have something to do with failures and it wouldn't harm anything to re adjust them every 10 to 12,000 miles but if they are of unknown age they should be replaced. Too cheap to take chances with.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

i had one break on my first gl1000, caused a bent valve but due to my ignorance i just put new belts on it and rode it, the end result was catastrophic engine damage, took out the whole left side of the engine, dont take the chance

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
imported post

If you are already that far into it to see they are loose, why not go ahead and replace them? You have already done most of the work just getting to them. For about another $40 bucks or so you can replace them and forget it. It would really be expensive if one did break.

My buddy had a 75 Wing he bought new. He had it maybe two years and was going down the road about 70 mph and the right belt broke. He heard a terrible clattering sound and pulled the clutch in and stopped. Pulled the head and the valves were bent but the pistons were just scarred up and no holes. He was very lucky in that regard... it could have been much worse. Anyway he replaced the valves and belts and rode it a few more years. That is the only Goldwing I have personally known to have broken a belt and it was a fairly new motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

They were replaced Im just wondering if readjusting with the tensioner would have been enough,SCTRUCKER any idea of the failure cause???

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Automotive belts are available for much less than the OEM belts for the bike, plus you can pick them up at Napa or your local auto-parts store. They are also made by the same factory, just with a different label and price tag.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Paid 11.15 each napa 250070 belts worked perfect..

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

no idea why it broke, this was about 1980 and it was a 1976, it didnt have that many miles on it and i was only doing about 30 mph. but i had just bought it,i mean litteraly, about 50 miles before this. when i replaced the belts it ran good except it didnt idle down as i should and had been doing so i was riding it to a friend who worked on goldwings, didnt make it

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

sctrucker wrote:
no idea why it broke, this was about 1980 and it was a 1976, it didnt have that many miles on it and i was only doing about 30 mph. but i had just bought it,i mean litteraly, about 50 miles before this. when i replaced the belts it ran good except it didnt idle down as i should and had been doing so i was riding it to a friend who worked on goldwings, didnt make it
Glad you made it out of that situation..

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

yeah, it cost me a 500-4 to get another motor but after she ran again (with new belts) it was worth it

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i hate to argue this point on the almighty honda "manual" but i removed my timing belts honda oem ones still could read everything on the belt the belts themselves were perfect no cracking on signs of any wear whatso ever

but 60 or so bucks is cheap insurance loose one and feel the pain

i figure im gonna pull off the timing covers once ever 2 or 3 yrs and do a good polish so i figure just do them then.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

peterbilt wrote:
i figure im gonna pull off the timing covers once ever 2 or 3 yrs and do a good polish so i figure just do them then.
Yeah that makes good sense.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.