Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I know there are posts about it but, I have found ranges from 25k mi, to 80k mi, for timing belt replacementand don't know what to usefor a reference. I am a master automobile tech and work on motorcycles on the side. I don't have a problem replacing the belts at 25k I just want to know what Honda recommends, I didn't find any mention of it in the owners manual and the Clymer manual only goes over replacement procedures.

I just purchased a 86 Aspencade with 67k mi. on it for $1500, it hasn't been on the road since 2006. It looks like it's in good shape, needs some carb work (were done 3 years ago and then it sat not being used) the fuel we have now sucks (carb work is the most common work I do on bikes).

New tires were done also, (they aren't anydry rot cracks, the DOT date is 3604 though) don't know how long they will last.

The rear brake does nothing (suspecta master cylinder overhaul isnecessary).

And last but not least the fork seals are weeping.

I purchased this bike because my girlfriend doesn't want to ride on my other bike (2006 V-Strom 1000), she says she feels like she will fall off. It has a back rest and I'm told it's comfortable but...

John

·
Premium Member
12,781 Posts
imported post

Welcome John . You will recive a lot more response if you post this question in the "Technical Forum"

I dont recall if the factory service book has a mileage listed for belt replacement . This is an interference fit engine . For my own piece of mind , When I get a new project Wing it gets new belts . $40 bucks is worth the it to me . You dont know if they have ever been changed so they could be at max 24 yrs old .

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
imported post

Welcome, WelcomeTo Steve Saunders Goldwing Forum.If you have any questions no matter how trivial they may seem this forum is the place to ask them. What I have noticed is that some of the people here were :15red:'sin their previous lives and can answer any question you have. Theforums that I get the most from are::

Goldwing Technical Forum

General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

These have the best info aboutGoldwing’s and are where you ask questions and can get help..

For Sale/Wanted ForumGood stuff for Sale or if you have old parts sitting around the garage you would like to get rid of....

:18red::15red::12red::11red:

And when all you need is a good laugh to start your day try the:: Fun Forum After that it’s up to you which of the others you will like the best all I can do is suggest.

Again Welcome to the Forum...

Oh and did I mention everyone here loves pictures.. Show us some of yours... Even if it’s not a Goldwing just a pretty view

·
Premium Member
68,164 Posts
imported post

WELCOME:waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
20,585 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum ringosrider ! :waving:

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
imported post

Welcome from Oklahoma :waving: Enjoy the wing :cheesygrin:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

[align=center]

[/align]
[align=center]Welcome ringosrider[/align]

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
imported post

I dont think honda recommended any milage interval for timing belts. I just change them on any new to me goldwing i get.Its worth the time just to know its done and done right.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I agree and am going to change the belts, I just want to know when to change them the next time.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

10 years, or 100,000 miles is what I go by. If you don`t know when they were last changed, or at all, I would be doing it right now.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
imported post

What he said..When I bought mine the guy said the belts were new..I found a few things he told me were not correct I changed the belts and they were nearly new Oh well I know the ones on now are new.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

There are cross-reference numbers for Gates and Napa belts.
If it's been sitting for 5 years you may have to get into the calipers as well. They are really nice bikes. Once you get it squared away you're gonna be pleased.

I don't know that there is an "official" mileage to change the belts. I will be changing mine again at 20k. It isn't something I want to test. If a belt breaks you will bend at least one valve for sure.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
imported post

I sell Quinton Hazel belts, made for them by Gates. When I was setting up the deal, I spoke to their Tech guy who recommended 25k or 5 years, due to the high revving nature of these engines. He also said to change them if the engine has not been turned over regularly in storage as they can take a 'set' from sitting under tension.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.