Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i am attempting to chaange the timing belts on my bile i have the new belts and have removed the old ones my shop manual says to line up the marks on the cam but to do this you need to remove the inspection plug on top of the motor is there a way to do this without removeing the engine any help would be appricated

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Just line up the marks on the front of the camshaft drive wheels and you're good-to-go.

No one that I know of opens the motor for this job.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Your manual should tell you to remove the inspection cap and rotate the engine prior to removing the belts.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

I just lined up the marks before I started and switched 'em out.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

By removing the belts before you line up the marks, you are in a potential precarious situation where you could bend valves.. do not force the cam gears or crank if there is any interference..

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

u might want to pm ghostrider52005,he had the same problem back in the summer

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
imported post

dgoins wrote:
...you need to remove the inspection plug on top of the motor is there a way to do this without removeing the engine..
You don't need to remove the engine to get the cap off.

You probably should have done your homework before pulling the old belts off. Read the information that RB linked to, you may be able to line the timing marks back up by rotating the crankshaft and cams a bit at a time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.