Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the timing belts on my 84 GL1200 tonight. When I removed the radiator I noticed that the inner timing cover bolts were missing and replaced with rubber plugs. Is this normal or has the PO messed up?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I replaced the timing belts on my 84 GL1200 tonight. When I removed the radiator I noticed that the inner timing cover bolts were missing and replaced with rubber plugs. Is this normal or has the PO messed up?
Yep someone messed up.
Once you pull the cover you'll likely find they're broken off in the block.
As they don't seem to be available from Honda anymore you may have to live with it.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Why fix what's not broke? :)

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Some people leave the inner ones out to make changing belts easier. Never heard of a problem, but no one would probably admit it if it didn't work. I do it.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Works well for me to leave off the inner bolts.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep someone messed up.
Once you pull the cover you'll likely find they're broken off in the block.
That was what I expected to find when I removed the covers, but everything was fine. It was just the bolts missing. I will try to find new ones on eBay.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
I have one of my inner bolts replaced by a grommet and short nut and bolt, it obviously does nothing more than fill the hole and look good. I did this when I did my alternator upgrade (conversion) since the new pulley on the end of the crankshaft covered that one bolt head.

On the other side (the left side) the inner bolt is notoriously difficult to reach and I think some people might get lazy and not bother with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.