Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well I am getting ready to see all what is wrong even ordered another set of timing case covers without checking this. This on a 1985 1200 interstate. Is the back timing belt cover the wrong one. I don't under stand the gap on the left side and no gap on the right side. :?

Will also be changing valve covers gaskets and all that starting now cause I don't have a garage to work in this winter.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

That looks like a left side backcover and it's on the left side.
Are the bolts in the timing belt covers?
Does anything look bent? I had a donor motor that took a hit into the right timing belt cover and the backcover was bent into the head leaving a gap. For sure something isn't right. When you get into it further it should give up it's secret.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

GregForesi wrote:
That looks like a left side backcover and it's on the left side.
Are the bolts in the timing belt covers?
Does anything look bent? I had a donor motor that took a hit into the right timing belt cover and the backcover was bent into the head leaving a gap. For sure something isn't right. When you get into it further it should give up it's secret.

Yes it is the left side. Looks like all bolted up right. But looking from the bottom side the rear back cover for the left side is the wrong one why I say this is because there is no gap at all till you get to the left side back timing cover. Its only about a 1/4 or a little more of lip on the back timing cover and looks like its needs at least another 3/4 of a inch. So being said that I need to know the thickess of the left side back timing case cover. Guess I can just order one

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

Take off the front cover again and look through the gap in the pulley wheel. You will see some bolts that hold on the rear cover to the cylinder head. Check they are all done up. Also check the pulley wheel is not loose and also the woodrow chuck ( a sort of wedge) is in place.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,749 Posts
imported post

That looks like two front covers, back to back. I don't know if it's possible to do that, but...

The stock rear cover was thicker and painted. What you have there looks thinner and polished.

Pardon how dirty bike is.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Ditto goldtop., check all bolts etc. put a straight edge across the covers to check for trueness.
Probably something simple like a jammed cover seal or loose bolts.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Wow ! I think Dennis is right but dont know how this could happen unless the po really wanted to sell asap.!?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

machinehead wrote:
Wow ! I think Dennis is right but dont know how this could happen unless the po really wanted to sell asap.!?
The explanation is simple.
That's an 84 left rear cover on an 85.:shock:

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

Which leads to the question - what the heck happened to the original one. It would seem to be a hard piece to lose since the camshaft goes through it.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
That looks like two front covers, back to back. I don't know if it's possible to do that, but...

The stock rear cover was thicker and painted. What you have there looks thinner and polished.

Pardon how dirty bike is.
Yep your right looks like what it needs.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

GregForesi wrote:
Which leads to the question - what the heck happened to the original one. It would seem to be a hard piece to lose since the camshaft goes through it.
I don't know what happen to the orginal one makes me really wonder what the heck. I have a pretty good leak on the left side I'll what all in wrong as I take it apart may have just wasted my money on this bike. :watching:

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

you have the covers from the different models mixed up. i think there was a change when honda put the pulse gen. on the front. regards walkabout :)

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

walkabout wrote:
you have the covers from the different models mixed up. i think there was a change when honda put the pulse gen. on the front. regards walkabout :)
Yes looks like to me that I have mix parts. Now saying that and knowing that. I am wondering can a person use a head off a 1100 and put it on a 1200.

If so how can a person tell the difference?

Its raining and cool out and my porch is where I will be working on my bike being no garage to work in.

Boy oh boy what did I get myself into :?

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

i dont think you can use 1100 heads on a 1200. are you having head problems ? also what year is the bike? the belt covers are available on ebay and wrecking yards. dont get discouraged, take your time and be sure to have a repair book. walkabout :)

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

i re read your post and i see the bike is an 85 also you say the bike runs so why the head change? i put later model heads on a 84 several years ago. i found the front timing belt covers fit however the back half did not fit. i had to change the back of the cover to get a correct fit. i dont remember if i changed both sides. look up the part numbers on the different year models and see what matchs and what does not this should point you in the right direction. walkabout. :)

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,749 Posts
imported post

walkabout wrote:
i put later model heads on a 84 several years ago. i found the front timing belt covers fit however the back half did not fit. i had to change the back of the cover to get a correct fit.

This may be what has happened on Midnightrider's bike. It looks like the bike is a rebuild, with the aftermarket bags & such.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

I am not changing the head. I did order from thisforum the back timing coverthat for a 1200. I have a bad oil leak on the left side as well but that could be in the valve cover. Right side leaks a bit but not like the left side and if the gasket is that bad it would leak more and I do believe that's my oil leak. Hope the rear timing cover I order will work I am sure it will. See sometime next week I guess and while I am waiting will be taking them Valve covers off and changing them out and check valve clearance as well.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.