Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i know i am just a dumb old country boy but for the life of me i can't find the inspection plug on my 85 gl 1200 limited edition it is the 10th anniveserty edition with fuel injection can anyone please help a detailed pic would help i have looked at the threads on here and also the vedio on utube but my bike seems to be different

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

i am sorry if i offended anyone i just don't have the same setup as everyone has said or at least i can't find so i will no lonjger bother anyone just will try an d sell the bike maybe someone else can figure it out i will no longer be useing this site

·
Administrator
26,566 Posts
imported post

Well don't get your panties in a wad, your question was answered even with pictures and a video tutorial.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

then why can't i find the inspection plug is there something i have to remove to see it

·
Honda Guru
2,054 Posts
imported post

The LTD is a little bit different than the Aspencade or Standard model 1200's.
The timing plug for the LTD doesn't have the same 'slot' in it that's shown on the
video. It also has a vent tube coming out of the center. It's easiest to remove by using a pair of pliers to loosen it.

But…. it is in the same location as the other model 1200's. From what I remember it's sort of hidden but if you use a flashlight you should be able to see it.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Ok everybody calm down. No need to go storming off-have a little patience...

Here's some pics off my SEI-viewed from stator side. The plug has raised "wingnut" like fins on it with a small vacuum line held in place by a spring clip...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

That pic was taken at a low angle, almost even with the inspction plug. To actually view the marks on the crank you have to stand up and view downward between the fuel filter and the chrome EFI cover. Additionally if you want to use a timing light to view the mark while running you will need to construct a inspection plug with a window or lots of oil willcome out-3 guesses how I know! Here's a pic of mine made out of pvc, o-rings and some clear plexiglass...

Attachments

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

When you remove the cap, be careful you don't break one of the tabs. A long pliers right across gets a good grip.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
Well don't get your panties in a wad, your question was answered even with pictures and a video tutorial.
I agree. Insulting people who try to help isn't the way to get more help, and it seems like he needs a lot of help after pulling the timing belts off before setting up the timing.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

I can understand his frustration Joe, although there is no excuse for being rude to JWayne who was only trying to help by showing him where the original thread was.
dgoins is in a tricky situation after pulling the timing belts without setting the timing first. I think he will need all the help he can get. I hope it works out for him.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
imported post

dgoins wrote:
i am sorry if i offended anyone
I wasn't offended, I don't know why you thought otherwise. Iassumed you couldn't find the thread whereyou had already asked the same question, and I pointed you to it.
The cap is in the same location on all GL1200s, it just looks a bit different on your model. Otherwise, timing belt replacement is the same on all of them.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

dgoins you mentioned already pulling belts. Something that by now you have realized should be done after aligning timing marks rather than before. Please add some specifics. Did you align the cam pulley marks before pulling belts? That would make a big difference. Also if you havent rotated engine (cams or crank) that will help as you can first reinstall old belts and possibly turn engine by hand to get everything "close" to lined up.
a couple of things to note...
Valve spring tension will have caused cams to rotate slightly upon belt removal so important to know engine is already out of time.
Engine should have plugs removed and should only be rotated BY HAND!-IF ANY RESISTANCE IS FELT OTHER THAN SPRING TENSION STOP AND INVESTIGATE.
Additionally I would remove both valve covers so you can tell the position of the valves.
Crank rotates 2x for every single rotation of cams but, when all marks are correctly aligned, I believe #1 cylinder will be at top of it's compression stroke so both valves in that cylinder will be closed.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

one easy way to find top dead center w/o timing mark is to rotate engine with finger on sparkplug hole cly # 1,when it comes up on TDC,#1 will have compression,then just align marks
at 9 and 3 o'clock and you should be in ballpark,unless PO really screwed up belt install previously this should work

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.