Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Looking for the timing inspection port on my '85 1200 ?

Is it the oil filler hole ?

Cheers Bob.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Look on top of the engine block view from left side (opposite from filler hole) the LTD should have a thin vacuum line going to it as well. I can post a pic if you can't find it. Here is a picture of theinspection cap on a carburettored GL1200. The LTD cap is a little different but is in the same location.
What is it u are trying to do?

Instructions and a video:

Replacing Timing Belts on a GL1200

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I changed the the head gasket on the L side (shifetr side) sounds like the timing is off, crank moved as I put the belt back on, lined up the match marks on belts and cam OK ,

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

nessy357 wrote:
I changed the the head gasket on the L side (shifetr side) sounds like the timing is off, crank moved as I put the belt back on, lined up the match marks on belts and cam OK ,
Well If you are just lining up the marks then you only have to remove the plug. To use a timing light a clear inspection cap is required or oil will come shooting ot big time when bike is started-ask me how I know!

Here's a pic of my homemade jobbie...

Attachments

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

nessy357 wrote:
Your camshaft is probably out of time, hopefully not enough to bend a valve.
Just check it by the book now that you know where the TDC mark is.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I must have got the camshaft out of time, it's way off now, when I have the flywheel at the T1 mark.. Does the camshaft timing mark always indicate with each revolution ? in other words, if the timing mark is T1 on the flywheel should the camshaft mark line up each tiem , oreevry 2 revolutions ?

Cheers Bob

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

The camshaft turns 1/2 as much as the crankshaft so it will be close to the timing marks or about 180 degrees off.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks Ken, I'm about 180 deg off right now, so's I'll check it tomorrow with anotherturn

·
Premium Member
231 Posts

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks wingsam, that's pretty ingenious !

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

It takes two full turns of the crankshaft to get the camshaft pulley around one full turn.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

nessy357 wrote:
Thanks wingsam, that's pretty ingenious !
Thanks-can't take credit as I got the idea on this site.

I took 2 PVC fittings, made a round lens out of plexy with a dremel wheel then a file, o-ring on the wet side of the plexy sandwiched tightly between the 2 pvc pieces. Then used a hacksaw to trim off excess height which allows better clearance and better viewing. FYI threads don't actually match but close enough for a hand tight interference fit that'll keep the oil in the engine. Again not necessary if you are only check the marks with engine not running.

2 crank revolutions per single turn of cams.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
imported post

Yes it works good, I used lexan and I use a 25mm die on the threads to match the hole, you need to take those threads down to near nothing first and use athe die and make new threads, it's a 3/4 pvc adapter that I used...I used a 15/16" holesaw[special order] and drill press, and sand the edges with a 1" belt sander..a littleso itfits the hole tight, glue it in using pvc glue..nice tight fit so they are pressed in tight on a flat surface..and take an 1/8" off the length too Here's a photo...the oem hastwo lense's this only hs one..Sorry for stepping on your post here...

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.