Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I changed the timing belts on my 85 GL1200. Now I am getting a very quiet backfire ( more like a phuft) when idling and opening the throttle. I checked and triple checked the timing marks when replacing the belts.

So I am thinking something is not right with the timing. So I am wondering where exactly am I supposed to be positioned when checking that the T1 mark is lined up with the crankcase mark. What I mean is, if I look at the marks when looking straight down (above) where the air filter box is the lines will be at a different place than if I was looking at the marks from the side. Also the side view will be dependant on what height or angle I am looking at.??

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Stand on the side of the bike and look down at the timing hole without looking through the frame. I don't see the minor difference making a noticible change anyway. Remember this is an interference engine, you can be one tooth off and it will only run poorly, at two teeth, there will be contact between the piston and valves, not a good thing. Ensure the arrows on the belt pullys are pointed up and the marks are properly aligned with the marks on the engine.
Are you using a Honda manual?

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,529 Posts
Get the T1 mark lined up as close as you can. An inspection mirror might be a help in looking as straight down on it as possible. Once that is done, recheck the cam pulley timing marks. The left cam pulley, (engine orientation as you're setting on the bike!), is under a bit of pressure from the valve springs when everything is set to top dead center and it might be 1 tooth off and cause the problem you have.

As the GL1200 is considered an "interference" engine I believe, the valves can be bent and possible piston damage can result if the engine is too far out of time but I think I've read about engines being out of time by 1 tooth before with no engine damage...

More Intelligent members than me will be along shortly!!:grin:

·
Administrator
27,933 Posts
If you can see the T1 mark in the window it is close enough you won't get the cams off by 1 tooth.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
I grabbed some of the photos off the tutorial page as a quick reference for you, but you should read the whole page for all the information:

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I had seen Steves timing video before. I am wondering is the timing just a touch advanced and that is what is causing the low popping sound.

·
Administrator
27,933 Posts
The timing cannot be just a touch advanced, there is no ignition timing adjustment and the belts are either right or wrong by a whole tooth or more.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The timing cannot be just a touch advanced, there is no ignition timing adjustment and the belts are either right or wrong by a whole tooth or more.
Ok so if I understand correctly that if the belts were off by 1 tooth or more then T1 would not be viewable in the window. Is the right?

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
If you're certain that you're on T1 and your marks are on, make sure you put the spark plug wires back in their correct position. Then make sure you pushed them in.
If you're using a clymer, that book is wrong on coil wire position.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.