Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everyone, I just purchased a GL1200. It was running, but sluggish high gear. I went to install new timing belts and followed the instructions to orient the arrows up. After the install and rode the bike around the block, I rechecked the timing to make sure everything was still aligned. My left side arrow (#2 & 4) points 4 o' oclock. How can I correct the alignment.

Hopefully I can realign without Honda dealer. Has anyone had this problem and can someone help me figure this out.

:sadguy:, Bill

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I've been taking the belts off and crank the cam a little, then reinstall the belts twice. The engine turns but will not. Start the timing is still off of course.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

No wonder it is sluggish! Did you change the belts or have it done? The camshaft gear had to have turned while installing the belt. Make absolutely sure that you are doing it right when you take the belts off to fix the problem. If it is off much more than it now is the pistons and valves may collide... might have already. There is not much room for error when installing the belts.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

When I installed the first time the right side moved counter-clockwise a little. went ahead and put everything back together. would run low gears - high speed accel wasn't there (4th and OD).

Bill

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
imported post

Both 1200's I have worked on have had the right side cam pulley shift just a little when I pulled the belt off, so that is fairly normal. When you put it back together, align the timing mark on the engine and make sure the "up" side of the cam pulley is pointed up, then align the timing marks on the cam pulley with the mark on the outside of the engine block. If I remember correctly.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

That's correct. This bike sat for awhile in the desert uncovered. I may have to align the right side first, then remove the belt and try to line up the left side until both sides are lined up correctly. Then install both belts again and hope it stays. I won't be able to get back to it till Tuesday. Wish me luck.

Bill
GL 1200

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

If you will follow the procedures outlined in the link in post#2 everything should go together properly. Don't mess around with this. Make sure you are following the correct procedure or engine damage can/will result.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Install the left belt first once the marks are lined up. The right pulley will jump off position when you pull the belt, make sure you line it up as per the instructions and pictures in the link in post 2. Also, ensure you lined up the correct mark on the right side pulley. Note the warning about that in this picture.

[align=center]
[/align]

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

In case you missed it, here is a video of the belts being fitted.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
imported post

Hi Bill. Before you do anything else, post a couple of photos here of the current timing mark position so the guys can advise you. Sometimes a photo works better than description and there are some parts of your original post I dont understand. "My left side arrow (#2 & 4)" has me confused, and I need to see some photos if you can do it please.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

If possible, rotate the engine until the crankshaft pulley and one side is correctly lined up. Then take photos of all 3 pulleys so we can see how far off the other side is, and advise you on what to do next.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

The process is a process of check and recheck I had mine slip a little because I checked the top engine TDC hole and it had moved. loosened the belts alligned everything again made sure the right side was wired tied up and all areas lined up It is critical to mark all points and keep checking the mark on the crank housing and through the Engine hole. No way one should be at 4 oclock.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
imported post

Yep, not a time to be fooling around. Having one wind up at 4 oclock means someone wasn't checking back on themselves very close.

Also, make sure belt teeth are seated inboth cogs (crank and cam ends)when setting tensioners.

No harm in "high lighting" the marks on the sprockets with Sharpie.

Tensioner adjustment is where I spend a lot of time tomeasure and remeasure. Too loose and you hear a knocking as the belt "flaps" or "snaps" like a towel, too tight and you hear belt humming or whine.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Hey there, I have the crank TDC and the 2 pulleys arrows up. Can I send more than 1 pic. Is it possible that the starter just spins now and doesn't engage is coincidence. I got this bike for $1k around new years and I knew I would have to do some repairs. I have it lined up but didn't want to put it back together with radiator and fluid just to try and start. Can I start the engine without the radiator just to see if it starts?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

With no antifreeze/water in the pump you could do some harm yo it. Maybe for a 5 second run you might get away with it.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Just wanted to see if it would turn over. I press the start button and it just goes sssshhheeeee. I'll put the radiator back on and fill it.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

To load more pics in one post, send your pics into the gallery on the right side main menu first, then start or edit the post and at the top line above the post/edit box is a letter G, click on that for each pics you want to put in the post. It's not done in the quick reply box.
I just learnt this a couple weeks ago. Now all I gots ta do is learnts to spell correctly.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

I have one hand on the starter while I press the start button and I can feel the starter motor spinning. Do I need to remove the starter, it looks like I have to remove the shifter and maybe drop down the exhaust pipes. I also charged the battery for a few hours. The battery is only 3 weeks old.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Don't start putting things back together just yet as your timing appears to be off by a tooth.
Without pictures of the outside of the camshaft sprockets as in post #9 and verifying that T1 is lined up in the inspection hole it's impossible to tell which one is out a tooth.

Starting the engine without the radiator on is not a problem as the Ceramic Face seal in the pump is tough and will run for hours without coolant. The engine however should not be run more than a minute or two without coolant.

The issue of the spinning starter is unrelated but should be addressed before putting things back together.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.