Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi, i realize that this could be an frequently asked question and am having little luck in searching for previous posts on this. so i decided to leave a poll on what are the best tires as in quality, price, reliability etc. basically i need a lil bit of advice on what to buy

Thanks again guys, Ali

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
imported post

gidday,

:Dlooking at your poll it would be fair to say the dunlops are pretty popular,
the elite 3's would be the tire that seem to really suit the 1200.

good luck,

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

Interesting poll. I had the Dunlops. Good tires, but I'm using the Metzlers now and they are WAAYYY stickier. Good luck picking.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
imported post

I have rode on everything even Pirelli and I have to say I like Dunlop the best.

Tom

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

After reading the report of 24,000 miles on a rear Elite III I would consider that. I always liked the Elite II but never got that kind of mileage. Now being broke I use the CS HiMax.

Q

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I used the Elite 2s for quite a while and now have Elite 3s on both a GL-1500 and GL-1200.

I love the turn-in on the E3, and have no problem with confidence in the tightest of turns.

My 1200 is regularly on the Ortega Highway for to/from work as well as personal travel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ortega_Highway

I generally ride a spirited ride across the Ortega, and the GL1200/E3 combination feels solid.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

ali wrote:
. . . . . having little luck in searching for previous posts on this. . . . .
Really ?? I get 165 hits when I type in "GL1200 tires".

My 1200 had E2s on it when I bought it, and I wasn't too thrilled with them. They "followed" tar snakes, and felt sketchy sometimes in hard rain. Both problems were completely eliminated with the E3s. They work great, and are phenominal in wet weather.

The only odd thing about them is - they get louder as they wear. Not bad enough to bother me, but enough to notice. I put 10k on a pair last year, running them at 41psi, and they're wearing nice and even, they just "sing" a little going down the road. They should be good for another 8 or 10k miles.

They are nice meats. :)

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

I ran my 1200 on Michellin Commanders and they were great, also not too expensive, but that was in the |UK.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Michelin Commanders 11,are very nice tires, in performance & price on my 1200, just bought a set for my 1500 as well, will see how they do next season as there's enough to finish the season.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
632 Posts
I am curious as well

Michelin Commanders 11,are very nice tires, in performance & price on my 1200, just bought a set for my 1500 as well, will see how they do next season as there's enough to finish the season.
I have the Michelin Commander II's on my Suzuki GS850GL and really like them...grip, quiet and longevity is promised..

I am curious as to what size you put on the GL1500 ? -
I did not think they made them (rear) in the correct size?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Shinko Tour Master 230 as they were inexpensive at about $90/ea online and the write ups were all good... except for a very few that said that they wore early? BUT I want a "soft" tire to grip the road for turns/stops and consider that acceptable trade off in a bike tire. A person that did the write ups said that the Shinko brand is Yokohama made in Korea as they bought out Yokohama molds/company/whatever. They seem good enough for me on my 84 wing so far... so good; although, I am a casual rider and frugal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.