Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Yeah a cable clutch feathers easier than an older hydraulic that has sticky seals or for that matter leaks, my 95 seems to have a certain spot where it hangs just a bit when I let out on it. I was riding both the 95 Wing and the 95 Virago today, apples and oranges.

Certainly a refresher getting on the featherweight Virago after riding the 95 GL1500.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Yeah a cable clutch feathers easier than an older hydraulic that has sticky seals or for that matter leaks, my 95 seems to have a certain spot where it hangs just a bit when I let out on it. I was riding both the 95 Wing and the 95 Virago today, apples and oranges.

Certainly a refresher getting on the featherweight Virago after riding the 95 GL1500.
I prefer a Hyd Clutch, if they are maintained properly they are GREAT!!! and VERY SMOOTH!!!!!!!

The slave cylinder on the back of the engine if it has never been taken apart and cleaned, Should be.

If you do not know if all the clutch fluid has been flushed every year with new DOT 4 Brake fluid for the life of the bike, then the slave cyl. should be taken apart & cleaned.

This is Easy maintenance to do,

There are about 4 bolt that hold on the slave cyl. on the back of the engine, easy to get to but you have to lay on the ground, get some card board, 4 bolts out, slave cyl. comes out in your hand, pump clutch once or twice to make piston come out of bore, then prepare your self for all the Crap in there, it will be ugly.

Then i would pull the slave cylinder off, the back of the engine, take the piston out, and inspect it and the bore, clean everything, you may have/PROBABLEY have either rust/ and LOADS of Dirt and Grime in this location.

Making your bike NOT shift as well as it could/should.

Clean it and you will have a much improved shift, it will surprise you how much difference there will be. that is as long as you bleed it correctly and get the air out after.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
That is usually the first thing I do with any of the bikes I pick up and ride, thats flushing the fluids, I use synthetic Dot 4 in all brake and clutch systems, synthetic 75-85 gear lube in the differentials, Rotella T-6 synthetic 5-40 in the engines and last but not least the cooling system gets flushed and if needed a dose of white vinegar to clean it then I use Peak Global and distilled water.
Right now I am riding three different bikes, the 95 Wing, the 95 Virago and in about an hour or so I am heading to work to get on the 82 Wing to clean the carbs and check its running condition, for that trip I will be hopping on the 89 Venture Royale, its first ride of the season.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
will the 82/83 wheels bolt on?? that deal on the 1200 didnt work out

[imghttp://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=125698&stc=1&d=1399681160][/img]

Attachments

·
big PIA
1,397 Posts
That Is good you could swap the 84' GL1200 engine into that GL1100 frame.

that 84' GL1200 is a one year engine it is a cross between a GL1100 and a later GL1200.

Think of the 84' GL1200 as a larger displacement GL1100.

The 84' GL1200 has a Clutch & trans like the 83' GL1100.

Your 84' engine has a Hydrualic slave cylinder on the rear of it, you could put hydraulic clutch on your GL1100 you would need a hyd. clutch master from a salvage yard.

Or you could pull the Cable pull clutch cover, off of the GL1100 and put it on the 84' GL1200 engine to make it a cable pull clutch.

What I am saying is you have a GL1200 that is more like your GL1100 than the 85' and up GL1200 are.

That is good for you as they are like engines, if it were to have a 85'-87' GL1200 they would be to much different, not much swappable

The 85' GL1200 and up Clutch & transmissions are way Different.
This came from these forums, not sure how to use the quote feature

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.