Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello All

This has happened to me twice now, the second time today coming home from work. The first time a couple of months ago. I pulled into a gas station to get gas and suddenly no power, i pushed the bike off to the the side, no lites, no nuttin.Just as i was going to start pulling things apart,bam, power just as normal, so i just wrote it off as something stupid i did.

But today, slowing for a lite,once again the bike stops and no power,pushed it off to the side of the road and as before just when i was going to start hunting for the problem the power comes back, everything normal.

Both times i did nothing except trying the key and witches.

Ant idea's.

86 1200 Interstate

Jim

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Loose battery connections?

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a bad or loose connection. Start by checking the main fuse. What area were you pulling apart when the power came back? Has there been any modifications to the wiring? Any 'crimp' type connectors? If so, try soldering the wires instead. Check the connections to the fuses for corrosion or looseness. Let us know what you find.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Did not touch or do anything, power just came back ???

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
imported post

Have you seen this post in the forum? The symptoms are similar, but the cause could be the same. Electrical gremlins can be difficult, but can be found. Just takes patience.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/125461.html

You might also check the ignition key switch. The '84 Interstate had a recall on the ignition switch.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

Two places I would start, the key switch and the dog bone fuse to the right of the battery.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

jim, a bad ignition switch will act the same way. if you have checkd everything else you might consider the switch. regards walkabout :)

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Jim, as others have mentioned check the dogbone for cracks, corrosion etc. Additionally check the connector at the top of the solenoid (4 wires). Have you replaced dogbone with an inline connector or is it original?

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

If it's an 84, it could be a bad ignition switch.

Otherwise, if you still have the stupid dogbone fuse, those get "crumbly", and can start exhibiting the same symptom. Been there, done that, on both the ignition switch (Honda recall) and the dogbone fuse.

Edit: I just re-read your post and see it's an 86. Dogbone fuse. I'll bet if you touch it it crumbles. It's probably arcing internally, you might be able to see it - replace either with another, or replace with an automotive blade-style 30A.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,768 Posts
imported post

Do you have an aftermarket radio or a factory clock?

I would think that, if the power is disconnecting from the main fuse, a loose batteryor the top of the solenoid, all power is interrupted and the clock will lose its set.

Ignition switch, or ignition switch wires, it will be like you turned the key off.

If the lights and such stay on but the engine dies, that would indicate kill switch or coil circuit, or maybe even the wires from the pulse generators.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

besides the battery and solenoid connections i would pull the tank and disconnect and clean the three major connectors which come from the fusebox,also the connector on the right side of the fairing(C80) which is the main power to and from the ignition switch

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
Edit: I just re-read your post and see it's an 86. Dogbone fuse. I'll bet if you touch it it crumbles. It's probably arcing internally, you might be able to see it - replace either with another, or replace with an automotive blade-style 30A.
Thinking the same thing, but I thought you had already made this mod. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. For you to lose everything it would sure seem to be the main power feed or a really bad mainground connection... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thanks All

Will attack the dog bone fuse and battery connections first. I hate things like this because it could be months or never to find out if you fixed any thing. Will let y all know what i find. Many thanks !!!!

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

Follow Neo racers advice and others here. Had similar problem last summer. Did the Solenoid upgrade deal and cleaned all connections. this means everything up the the right side fairing box connections since I have an 84 I had to replace the ignition switch with a 86 I had exactly the same problems. Wiggle the wires coming out of the switch and see if you get power mine turned out to be a combinations of things with on off kill switch..starter and ignition. But after I worked through all of those it is just fine.:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

No Dennis- with the time change, dark when leaving for work, and dark when off,plus black friday coming so working late some.
Plan on replacing the dogbone fuse and checking the other connections when off next.

Thanks Jim

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Got a 30amp HD auto inline fuse holder and bypassed the dogbone fuse and checked all the connections i can, so just have to ride now and see if it happens again.

Thanks for all the input Jim

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Got a 30amp HD auto inline fuse holder and bypassed the dogbone fuse and checked all the connections i can, so just have to ride now and see if it happens again.

Thanks for all the input Jim

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

if you bypassed the dogbone by just using the 30 amp holder,you'd be way ahead by making the upgrade which eliminates the 4-wire connector at the solenoid which is a problem area too

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
imported post

Neoracer helped me when I had the same problem last spring. The dogbone looked attached, but was in fact broken. Replacing the dogbone solved my similar probems.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.