Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 87 has Dunlop Elites but I never found them very good-twitchy handling and no grip in the wet. When I get around to pulling out the engine to do the clutch cylinder I may as well get tyres as well. Any suggestions for decent tyres?

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
imported post

Based solely on the feedback Isaw from members at this site about 3 months ago, I purchased a set of Metzler 880 tires. I was riding Dunlop Elites like yourself but experienced the same tendency to grabtruck grooves on the highway, notreally grip the road in the wet...all the while I felt every pebble along the way. The tires were in good shape but you need confidence in the wet.

Put on 2,500 miles on the new Metz so far;Smooooooth ride, extremely responsive in wet or otherwise. I could not be happier with the Metzlers.

Brian

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

Take Brians word for it Ted. The 880s seem to be the best available for the 1200.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

I started out using michelins thats a bad choice!!!!!!,,, i did like dunlop ,but were a little pricy. now i run with {pirrelli route 66}and am averaging about 25000to 28000 kl. but realy have to watch air pressure !!!!!! Gary

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
imported post

Hello Englishted !
WARNING ! We are two members in GWCDK that have got the same experience this summer with Metzler tyre type: 150/90 B15 M/C 80 H (fits GW1200)
In both cases we are talking aboutrelative new tyres ! What happend : Thomas told there was a bang from the rear tyre I did not hear anything when mine was broken ! But as you can se on the picture a piece af the rubber is gone from the tyres wearing surface !

I think instead a good choice is Bridgestone !

Jan
Denmark

Attachments

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

On my 84 GL1200 I fitted a pair of Pirelli Route MT 66 they go for about £130 a pair, they were very good for milage about 20,000 miles for front and 15,000 for the rear the grip wasn't bad, but as they wore they skipped heavily on white lines.

when they finally wore out I fitted a pair of Continental Conti-Tour TK16 + TK17 £140 pair, these are comfortable and quiet and grip the road well, they arn't afected by white lines at the moment (4000 miles front 9000 rear) and seem to be wearing well. I can recommend both types.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
imported post

i have a 1200 LTD 1886 b plate and i need to repace the tyres front anyway

at the moment i have avons on both front and rear the rear is fine but the front is down to 1 mil of tred there abouts where is the best place to get tyres in the uk as i have looked on the internet shops and i have price's from £75 up £127 front only thats for a bridgestone but now not sure what to fit to it and if i can mix avon rear with any on front

thanks for any help

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

I'm a bit dissillusioned with Avons now. They aren't too good on the GL1100.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
imported post

so where is the best place to buy tyres from in leicestershire area or of the net

and what tyres do you recomend for the GL1200

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I don't know how these guys fareon prices (you can check that out with some phone calls), but they are Metzeler dealers in the area;

Drayton Croft Motorcycle Sales
LE10 1RE Hinckley (Leicestershire)
Stockwell Head
Tel. 01455 637654

Motorcycle Accessories
LE1 3XL Leicester (Leicestershire)
160 - 162 Belgrave Gate
Tel. 01162 624983

R & S Motorcycle Tyres
LE2 6AN Leicester (Leicestershire)
29 Oakland Road
Tel. 0116 270 0787

S P S - Unit 7A Woodhill Ind Est
LE14 3LX Old Dalby (Leicestershire)
Tel. 01664 823063

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
imported post

What size are the Conti's you got for your 1200 Aspencade? Seems like you can't figure out the sizes unless you know the sizing code from the manufactuer. Each brand seems to use a different sizing code. I 'm to get these for my 1986 Apencade. WyoWinger :waving:

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

I still swear by the Dunlop Elite II's. Tried metzlers once and they didn't wear well at all!!!

I've done lots of touring in some awful down pours, double up and heavy. I've felt no need to reduce speed in a straight line, but I do baby it into any kind of corner.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

Hey WyoWinger, one thing you should know about Conti tires---they are very slick until after the first 200-500 miles. Wet or damp pavement, surface silt( that fine layer of dirt on the road that you don't see until you feel your back end slipping out from under you) are two of the things that that brand of tyre is sensitive to. I tried them outon an'83 Suk GS1100GL. I wanted to geta feel for them before I tried them on the wing. When they showed their colors on the lighter bike which was fully dressed alsoI changed my mind and went with the Elite IIs.Haven't considered anything since. Now I'm waiting on some feedback about the Elite IIIs. Good luck but if you stick with the Elite IIs you won't need it.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

I ended up with the 880s and so far they seem much more stable than the Elites. Good wet grip as well. My GL1500 is due new rubber in the next 1000 miles I reckon, so I think the Metzelers will be a big consideration for that as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.