Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I have a 1985 Interstate 1200 that I have owned for about 2 months. It is taking at least 10 to 15 minutes to warm up to the point where it is responsive to the throttle. This is when the bike is stationary. It is also not ridable if not allowed this warm up period. If I don’t give it this amount of time and try to give it gas the engine struggles to respond.

However after about 2 minutes I can take the choke off and the bike will idle smoothly but as mentioned struggles to increase revs in response to throttle.

The temp gauge needle rises at a speed I expect but it must get to half way between cold and hot before the bike is throttle responsive. Once it warms up to this point the bike rides perfectly.

This is my first Goldwing but none of my other bikes in the past required such a long warm up period.

Any ideas folks?

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
I'm sure someone will be along to offer some insight
I can say that is not typical for a goldwing, my 1200 would fire up with choke set and off you go, just let off choke as it warms up while riding

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I would check the air filter

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Not normal. My '84 was ready to ride almost immediately as AJ 1200 said. Are you sure your choke is working properly?
Boyydsp

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
my guess is that someone removed the thermostat or it is stuck open, allowing water to flow all the time. as far as i know, it is there to help the bike get warm faster by not allowing water to flow freely to the radiator, sometimes it gets stuck closed making the engine to overheat. if the bike is new to you i would check if the thermostat is there and see if it works properly.

now I personally would not mind about this, on my bike that i have owned for 5 or 6 years, maybe less maybe more, it has always took some time to get responsibe on the throttle, i've never checked if there is a thermostat in there but im am quite sure its not.

i just try not to run the engine hard while its cold, it usually starts feeling like its ok after riding 4 or 5 blocks away from my home.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
I doubt that the choke is working as you said. If it were working you wouldn't need to warm it up for 15 min you could ride it immediately.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
So why do you take the choke off after 2 minutes. Are you saying with the choke on it is not responsive after a cpl minutes warmup? As you can see I have a 1000 1100 and a 1500. skiped the 1200 . The 1000 and the 1100 are very cold blooded but i do not even bothe to warm them up. Just fire the bike up jump on and run a cpl blocks with choke on to warm he engine up.
Wilf

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
As this is the 3rd posting on your bike not running properly (this should be all in 1 posting, please don't start another, info is missing as to what you have done and what has been told to do.) I looked to see what you have done, I noticed you wrote you set mixture screws to "factory setting ",did you do the idle drop method to set them properly after the "bench setting "??? This has to be done as outlined in the instructions or the synchronizing is not correct. Did you do this?

Did you empty and inspect the gas tank for rust/debris?

Did you install a new gas filter? Napa #3011 @$5.

Did you test the fuel pump flow with a measured flow rate as per the repair manual?

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As this is the 3rd posting on your bike not running properly (this should be all in 1 posting, please don't start another, info is missing as to what you have done and what has been told to do.) I looked to see what you have done, I noticed you wrote you set mixture screws to "factory setting ",did you do the idle drop method to set them properly after the "bench setting "??? This has to be done as outlined in the instructions or the synchronizing is not correct. Did you do this?

Did you empty and inspect the gas tank for rust/debris?

Did you install a new gas filter? Napa #3011 @$5.

Did you test the fuel pump flow with a measured flow rate as per the repair manual?
Whilist I appreciate the creation of numerous posts on the same topic can be annoying each one I have mentioned in the past were different symptoms and causes and I did not notice them until time intervals had passed. Truth be told I was wary of detailing each one again as it would be a novel.

All questions you asked had I donewere covered in my various post but what has me puzzled is the fact there are no running issues once the bike has warmed up.

As suggested I am going to check the thermostat.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Checking the thermostat for proper operation is good advise but will have nothing to do with the bike running and accelerating properly
from what you are saying I believe either your choke is NOT working as it should OR
you have a vacume leak of some kind or a bad seal on the intake
your problem is directly related to the enrichment needed while the motor is cold
once it is warm it doesn't need it anymore
fire it up cold and shoot a little carb cleaner around the carb and intake area and see if it effects the runnning. that will eliminate a vacume or intake leak

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Checking the thermostat for proper operation is good advise but will have nothing to do with the bike running and accelerating properly
from what you are saying I believe either your choke is NOT working as it should OR
you have a vacume leak of some kind or a bad seal on the intake
your problem is directly related to the enrichment needed while the motor is cold
once it is warm it doesn't need it anymore
fire it up cold and shoot a little carb cleaner around the carb and intake area and see if it effects the runnning. that will eliminate a vacume or intake leak

Thanks I will try that. The reason I said the choke was working was when rebuilding the carbs I could see the choke on each carb opening and closing when I used the choke lever. Also when the choke is applied on cold the bike will start easily with high revs and drop when the choke is taken off.

So could this still mean the choke is not operating properly?
Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Well that sounds like it's working, have you tryed to just leave it on and ride it or will it not rev even when it's on

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well that sounds like it's working, have you tryed to just leave it on and ride it or will it not rev even when it's on
I havent tried riding it with choke on but it does respond better when cold to the throttle with the choke on. Just for test purposes I turned the fuel/air screws out half a turn more than factory settings in case it was lean and resynched but no improvement.

Would I be able to hear any sucking noises if there was vacuum leak?

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
I havent tried riding it with choke on but it does respond better when cold to the throttle with the choke on. Just for test purposes I turned the fuel/air screws out half a turn more than factory settings in case it was lean and resynched but no improvement.

Would I be able to hear any sucking noises if there was vacuum leak?

Just curious how long have you had this bike and is it your first GoldWing
I ask because I wouldn't even consider taking off on a cold bike without the choke on, I would even leave my choke on a little in the winter as it seemed to run better. not sure how the 1500 will be when it gets cold
but I know it doesn't like the choke now once it's warm

can't help on the carb settings or sync as I never had to mess with mine

hard to say if you would hear a vacume leak as it may only become an issue as you begin to throttle up,engine sound may camo it

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just curious how long have you had this bike and is it your first GoldWing
I ask because I wouldn't even consider taking off on a cold bike without the choke on, I would even leave my choke on a little in the winter as it seemed to run better. not sure how the 1500 will be when it gets cold
but I know it doesn't like the choke now once it's warm

can't help on the carb settings or sync as I never had to mess with mine

hard to say if you would hear a vacume leak as it may only become an issue as you begin to throttle up,engine sound may camo it
My first Goldwing yes. Been riding for 25 years give or take but never did anything mechanical with them other than simple maintainence .Choke on a cold bike will improve running but on a warm bike make engine running worse. I never rode any bike I had without giving it a little time to warm up even though some guys I knew would choke on and off they went.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Cool SO congrats on your first Wing
hopefully this will end up being a fairly simple fix

yeah I'm a choke on and off I go kinda person
so try the carb cleaner thing and let us know if it makes it rev up or choke out

also have you removed and cleaned the little canisters for the filter system
one is under the battery, 1 10mm bolt and 1 hose clamp, the other is just behind the filter housing under the center console pocket
they will fill up with water and can make the bike do weird things also

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
My '87 Aspencade has always required the choke to be on (at least partially) for the first 5 to 10 minutes of riding until the temp gauge came up a few ticks off of cold.

I think that's pretty normal. I've had two GL1200s, an '84 GL1200I and my current '87 GL1200A, and they were both cold blooded like that.

That said, they both ran smooth and responded promptly to throttle inputs while riding and warming up with the choke on.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.