Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Anyone think I have A regulator problem? at idle I am getting 14.9 by the multi meter at the battery. Seems like at Idle it should be less. I get 12.6 when the Bike is shut off.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

By the way my Volt meter reads a little over 14..I hooked it up using the Aux block on the fuse block, Is that correct or should I have wired it differently?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

What's the reading at the battery at 3,000 rpm?
If it doesn't go up the regulator is doing its job.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

A battery on it's last leg can let the volage go high.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Battery only a few months old but that doesn't mean anything. I'll check the output at 3 grand.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

It's not a problem if the charging voltage doesn't go above 15 very much. However it does sound like a regulator problem but it sounds more like a loose or flaky connection. A loose or corroded ground or harness connector based on the age of your bike. Pull the connectors apart and wash both ends with WD40. Blow them clean with compressed air. Disconnect all the grounds from the frame, use WD40, Scotchbrite and compressed air. Tighten any which appear loose. Corrosion is an insidious enemy. Ohm's Law takes over and things can flicker and smoke.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Just got through doing all of that a few months ago. But never hurts to check again.

·
Senior Something
13,270 Posts
imported post

Mine was charging at 14 for a few days without dropping to 12 volts. Also on a new battery. It died the other day, now I am waiting on a regulator. When I have some extra cash I'll get this one.

SHINDENGEN MOSFET FH012AA REGULATOR/RECTIFIER

UNIVERSAL regulator/rectifier kit and charging system upgrade kit.
The kit can be used to upgrade 2 wire and 3 wire stator systems on all makes and models of motorcycles.
This voltage regulator is great for replacing existing undersized or obsolete regulators.
The advanced MOSFET construction will run cooler than all OEM diode style regulators.
In addition, this rectifier has overheat protection, rather than burn up it will simply turn off for a while and cool off.
This regulator is capable of 50amps continuous 3 phase and 30amp single phase.

Maxi fuse protected, unlike circuit breakers which over time can get weak and be prone to nuisance tripping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380331509165?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

15V. at idle is high , if your battery is standard lead acid type check for a semi. dry battery indicating boil over and overcharging .

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

...still waiting for volt output at 3000 RPM...

:popcorn:

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Okay here is what I did..I went out and battery would not Crank engine. Sooooo I checked and battery was at 9.87 Volts. I removed battery from bike placed it on the M/C trickle charger at let it charge..Fully charged read 12.86 left it off the Bike and on counter. Came back out this morning checked it and down to 9.86 So battery is toast..Only a few months old. Its going back today.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.