Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just curious to hear from those who have owned or driven both a GL1200 and GL1500 as to how the handling and braking compare, both low speed and high speed ?

I own an 85 GL1200 Interstate and am thinking about upgrading to something

newer. Would love to go to an 1800 but not sure the finances will permit.

Thanks

JimC

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

When I went from my 1200SEI to the 1500 I thought the 1500 felt more nimble in handling. It did take more concentration at low speed maneuvering than the 1200 but I got used to that pretty quickly. There's a lot more torque with the six cylinder engine, it's quieter and turns slower at a given speed. The trunk and saddlebags are much handier to use. Better weather protection too. I think the 1200 is a better looking bike but the 1500 is a superior machine in most all ways. The reverse is also very handy.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
imported post

I currently own one of each and my 1200 handles significantly better than the 1500, especially at slow speeds.

However, my 1500 rides much better/smoother at higher speeds.

My 1200 will fall into a corner with very little input from the rider,while my 1500 needs a little more coaxing to carve canyons.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

I don't know about the handling difference's, I know that the 1500 sits differently, meaning that it is a different feel while sitting on it. I do know that it is much more fun riding the 1500.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
imported post

there really isnt a lot of difference between the two bikes, I ride with a friend who has a 1500, both bikes are made to handle well.

the 1500 is smoother,needs less gear changes whereas a 1200 has more of a sports/tourer feel to it.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Having had both, they both handle well. I have ridden both very agressively, wearing the little nubs off the bottoms of the foot pegs and leaving significant wear on the highway pegs on both bikes.

You sit higher on the 1200. The frame on the 1500 is more solid also.

So the 1500 feels more stable.

But since the 1500 is alsoa little bigger, so it's mostly a wash.

The 1200 has a slight edge in sportyness, but the fortunately the 1500 is no slouch.

And the 1500 has an edge in comfort.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Put a set of 416s on the rear of a 1500 and a set of Progressive springs in the forks and you'll find the old girl can lift up her skirts and carve the twisties with a lot more authority and none of that bobbling or wandering when you push her a bit in the sweepers.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

One thing, I have a 1200 and a buddy had a 1500, and I could run away from him, when we were both all out. Not that that matters much, just sayin...

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Sounds about right, my '86 SEI felt like it had more steam when you wound it up than my 1500 but definitely less low rpm torque. It took a bit more shifting to keep the rpms up than the 1500.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

The 1500 has a lower redline than the 1200. I've hit the rev limiter several times on the 1500. I don't recall ever hitting the red line on the 1200.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

OPINION ALERT. My opinion, not fact.

Two very different animals. The six-cylinder is silky-smooth, very jet-like power above 4k rpm, but the additional power gets used in the additional weight and girth.

No matter whether you have a 1200 or 1500, don't sell one to get the other - you'll always miss the one that's sold.

One's not a vast improvement over the other in so many ways.

They're just different.

Got a 1,200 mile trip ahead, give me a GL-1500.
120 mile trip instead? Give my my GL-1200.
Curvy roads lean me to a GL-1200.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks for all the feedback, it's interesting how everyone has a slightly different view on the differences or similarities.

Like I said in my original post I have had the opportunity to ride my friends 07 GL1800 and it drives and handles surprisingly easy for a heavy bike. However, I have never had the chance to ride a GL1500.

Some folks say the 1500 feels very heavy to move around in the garage or get up on the stand and so on. I know it is a little bulkier and heavier than the 1200 but wasn't sure just what that meant in the handling dept.

Thanks Again, always interesting to hear other opinions.

JimC

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

None of the 'Wings I've had and that's all models, were hard to get up on the centerstand. I had an 1100 that was difficult but that was cured by removing, cleaning and re-lubing the centerstand. Made a great difference. In most cases it's the technique used to put the bike on the stand that's at fault.

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
When I went from my 1200SEI to the 1500 I thought the 1500 felt more nimble in handling. It did take more concentration at low speed maneuvering than the 1200 but I got used to that pretty quickly. There's a lot more torque with the six cylinder engine, it's quieter and turns slower at a given speed. The trunk and saddlebags are much handier to use. Better weather protection too. I think the 1200 is a better looking bike but the 1500 is a superior machine in most all ways. The reverse is also very handy.
I just moved from a 841200 asy (still have it in stable) to a 971500 SE. Not much time in the saddle yet but from first observations exavid hit the nail on the head. Long rides-15, short rides-12.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

I have owned 1000s, 1100s, a 1200 and a 1500. My 1500 is the easist to get on the center stand.

I agree, short rides I would prefer to have my 1000 again, or even my 82, but for long rides the 1500 is the way to go. I have ridden a couple of 1800s and to ME there is not enough difference to make the jump like there was from my 1100I to my 1500 (never had the 1200 on the street).

Bill

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,202 Posts
imported post

I'm 68 and not in exceptionally good physical condition (need to get out and walk a lot).

I can put my GL1500 up on the center stand in one easy movement.

It is just a practiced art. Right heel down hard, and pull up on the left side pillion hand grip, keep the left hand on the handlebar and do it all at once. pop!

has more to do with Momentum than brute strength.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I made the mistake of selling the best Goldwing for short rides. That was my '80 Standard. A naked 'Wing is a real blast to ride. Jluvs2dive had an '84 Standard that was like a museum pieces. That 'Wing was a real hot rod.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
imported post

Nothing weak about a 1200 frame, and if one isn't afraid to use the 7500 rpm redline, a 1200 will more than keep up with a 1500.
;)
Put a set of 416s on the rear of a 1500 and a set of Progressive springs in the forks and you'll find the old girl can lift up her skirts and carve the twisties with a lot more authority and none of that bobbling or wandering when you push her a bit in the sweepers.

Do the same on a 1200 and it'll make a great improvement to it as well. A lot of the bobbling and wobbling in high speed sweepers is the stock rear shocks letting the rear porpious up and down causing changes in steering angle and trail.

·
Happy Goldwinger
778 Posts
imported post

I rode a GL1200 Interstate this summer. It felt lighter than my GL1000. I don't know how Honda managed to do it but they did. The GL1200 seemed to handle better too at low speeds, and stopped much quicker.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.