Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Okay guys, I need some opinions and I know there's no shortage of them around here. I really like my 1986SEI but have been wondering about the GL1500. Alas can't afford two bikes. The 1500have more parts and accessoriesavailable, and I like the idea ofsix cylinders. Also like the saddle bags with hinged lids.

So my question to those of you who have experience with both, what are the pros and cons. Would it be worth it for me to move up a 1988- 1990? Won't be able to go much newer.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

No, haven't made up my mind. Put the Green Machine up to see what kind of action it might generate. I think the SEI with it's fuel injection is really be best of the bunch, but am a little afraid of keeping it all working. The basics are easily obtained but some of the SEI specific parts are becoming rare, especially sensors and cpus. If I end up keeping her I'm going to need to haunt eBay and collect as much of the sensors,electrical equipment and fuel injection parts as I can. The other choices are to go to an '86 or '87 Aspy or Interstate which are simpler machines or consider a 1500. I suspect the SEI and LTD and beat most 1500s in acceleration, probably not in handling. That's why I'm asking for input like yours, I don't have any way to test ride a 1500 so need to mine some of the experience here on the forum.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

When I bought Soarise, my first selection was 1200 or 1500. My last was an 1100. I researched carefully and rode both.

The 1200 won and I intentionally looked for a LTD SEi or an 87 Aspy, (which I settled on).

Primary considerations were:
fuel economy 1200 wins
handling 1200 wins
comfort equal
appearance 1200 wins

Sorry, I do sincerely apologize to the 1500 owners here, blame it on my tinker heritage; but I simply think the 1200s back are more Motorcycle in appearance if that term can be understood. Oh I think the 1500s are pretty, but my own weaknesses require a wee bit more macho appearance.

As to handling, I "feel" like I am sitting too high on a 1500, while I felt nestled in on a 1200. Sitting on the 1500 and in the 1200. No logical reason nor rationale for the feeling, once again look what I came from.

Comfort, well all the bells and whistles are there. Right now I note Soarise's air conditioning is functioning exceptionally well, but the 1500 hundred boys appear to be equally chilled, so??? A true draw in comfort.

Economy was a foregone conclusion.

Now I can say I am quite happy with my choice and well pleased with the deal I struck. The only change I would contemplate might be an SEi or LTD, but as they hold value so well, I really do not see a bargain there. Of course if an 1800 in the crate shows up with a decent price in my range, welllllll Little probability there now!

exavid,
Can you test the waters on ebay like that? I thought once you entered your item, you had to sell?

Also I also have a rebuilt salvage title, (originally Iowa and now Kansas). I am not really worried all about it, but I wonder, how did you clear yours, could I clear mine?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

exavid,
Can you test the waters on ebay like that? I thought once you entered your item, you had to sell?

Also I also have a rebuilt salvage title, (originally Iowa and now Kansas). I am not really worried all about it, but I wonder, how did you clear yours, could I clear mine?
Yeah, I set the reserve high enough so that if someone does cough up the cash I can buy another and make a wee profit. If the reserve isn't met and I want to sell to the highest bidder I can offer a 'second chance' at the bidder's price, or I can fold my tent and steal away without selling. It'll cost me around $30 but who worth it to see what happens. I fully expect that I'll keep the Green Machine, but who knows.

Thanks for your input, the consensus building here is for the GL1200.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Ive met many former 1200 owners that regretted selling to a 1500, mostly handling. But many of them were pressured into it by the fact the 1200s were LEMONS.:shock:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Thanks, I like that idea.

Hmm... You know I am very happy with mine, but a profit is always interesting....NO!! Not until after one full season at least!!

By the way, how did you clear the salvage title?

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Okay guys, I need some opinions and I know there's no shortage of them around here. I really like my 1986SEI but have been wondering about the GL1500. Alas can't afford two bikes. The 1500have more parts and accessoriesavailable, and I like the idea ofsix cylinders. Also like the saddle bags with hinged lids.

So my question to those of you who have experience with both, what are the pros and cons. Would it be worth it for me to move up a 1988- 1990? Won't be able to go much newer.
Paul, A 1200SEI will blow any gl1500 off the road. A normal 1200 won't. SEI's are usually worth a bit more as well and as the stator is fixed on your model I'd doubt the wisdom of changing, unless you just want something different. Pity you can't afford to have both!
The gl1500 is a different animal altogether, heavier (but you'd hardly notice) and very lively for all the weight. Brakes are adequate at best. If you can get a test ride from someone with a 1500 first, it might help you decide.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

Over the years (1981 - present) I've owned an 1100, 1200, 1500, 1000and am now back on an 1100 again.

At risk of incurring the wrath of all 1200 owners, I'd never have one again and would go to a 1500 if only "her indoors" would release the funds.

I hated my 1200 Aspencade with a vengence - in terms of reliability (wasn't), comfort (none) and handling (didn't do that either). Also, in comparrison to the 1100, the 1200 was difficult to work on.

Sorry all you 1200 owners :(

Graham.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Graham B wrote:
I hated my 1200 Aspencade with a vengence - in terms of reliability (wasn't), comfort (none) and handling (didn't do that either). Also, in comparrison to the 1100, the 1200 was difficult to work on.
Graham.
GL owners here in US used to laugh at Harley-Davidson owners because the H-Ds leaked oil and broke down along the motorway, but along came the GL1200 to top that! The joke was to not ride your 1200 farther than your longest electrical extension cord. They are excellent once all the bugs are worked out. Always wanted to put one on the drag strip sans fairing and saddlebags.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

You all have read my testimonials on my 82 GL1100's dependability with the amount of miles I've accumulated on it over the past 18 years of some serious touring. Just this past season did I do an engine swap because I had a bearing that couldn't handle the 400,000 plus that's been put on the ol' girl. Even adding together the "new" 83 mill (with 100,000) and all the other minor bits and pieces (final drive spline, shaft, shocks, seals) I've had to do to her, wouldn't even buy a decent accessory package on an 1800.

I'm running out of roads on this continent, may be time to see the brethren on the other side of the pond.

Kyle

Over Tried Over Tested Over True!!!!

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
imported post

okay, your worrying me are the 1200's really that bad? My father in law gave me his 77 gl1000 over the summer. It got a little too big for him, and he got a little too old for it or something like that and he parked it 16 years ago, with a very rare startup. Probably the same gas that he put in it 16 years ago he tried to start it a few years ago and then spent another year dinking around with it. He gave me 2 smaller bikes with similar afflictions and when Igot those running he offered up the wing. Took about 2 weeks to get it ridable, the carbs were a mess. When I got the whir of death from the starter and spent a couple weeks in late summer push starting the behemoth(every piece of chrome available for a 77). I pulled the engine(twice) to fix the starter clutch, first time I just changed the caps and rollers, then I found out the outer shell was in need of replacement. Anyway, when I went to the local dealer to order the rest of the starter clutch I saw a very immaculate 85 Limited.

It had 19000 miles on it, paint looked almost as good as new, definitely didnt look 20 years old. I put about 3000 on it before the salt flew in december on snow covered roads. Am I in for more maintenance than what i had with the 77? Never mind I took it out 2 weeks ago and center punched a deer with the 85. I kept it up but am trying to locate a proper painted right lower cowl. Damage limited to right cowl and fender, oh and my great toe on my right foot. Ever tried riding over a deer going 50 mph. Talk about a speed bump. Did I mention this bike came with a bible in the trunk. Previous owner left it and from what I can tell, it was in the bike when he got it the previous year. It has several rolling thunder emblems on the fairing spread out over the 90's.

Having put about equal miles on the 77 and the 85 in the same time frame, I was switching back and forth for a while. The 85 is a whole lot more comfortable, but this thread has me worried that I hope I dont end up regretting the purchase.

Still got the 77 named wing1 and the 85 is wing2. Wing 1 is for sale, but the weather is not conducive to bike buying at the moment around here.

bob

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Actually though, not to worry. The 1200s come with lessons!!! LOLOL!!!!:waving:

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

revinger wrote:
Never mind I took it out 2 weeks ago and center punched a deer with the 85. Did I mention this bike came with a bible in the trunk.
bob
That Bible didnt do the deer a bit of good, eh?

Whats the 1000 like and $$$? I shouldnt, but Im curious.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

My 2-cents... I purchased a brand new 86 Aspy in 86.. then in 94, purchased a used 1500 :15blue:with 10k miles on it... Kept the 1500 for 7 months (only the riding months here), and sold it so I could get back on my 86 Aspy... Hands down, I favor the GL1200 for all thegood reasons.. ;)

Unfortunately, I only took a test ride on an 1800 :18white:last summer in Georgia, and of course, ended up with stars in my eyes but no money inmy wallet... :baffled:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Renegade wrote:
My 2-cents... I purchased a brand new 86 Aspy in 86.. then in 94, purchased a used 1500 :15blue:with 10k miles on it... Kept the 1500 for 7 months (only the riding months here), and sold it so I could get back on my 86 Aspy... Hands down, I favor the GL1200 for all thegood reasons.. ;)
So what were the main things about the 1500 you didn't like as much?

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

I ride an 87 Aspencade and I love it. I see the 1200 is still up on ebay. If I could afford the extra $$ I would own a 1500, if I could afford even more I would own a 1800. I reckon newer/biger has got to be better, but it depends if you're nostalgic or not.

If anyone hates their 1500 and wants to swap for what I'm told is the best 1200 bar none I would be delighted to take them up on it.

Andrew

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Andrewl wrote:
If anyone hates their 1800 and wants to swap for what I'm told is the best 1200 bar none I would be delighted to take them up on it.
Hey AndrewI, :waving:The :18red:that I use belongs to my neighbour and he says that he would swap for your 1200 wing :stumped:but your very far away from this little Island of the west coast of Ireland. :jumper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Andrewl wrote:
If anyone hates their 1800 and wants to swap for what I'm told is the best 1200 bar none I would be delighted to take them up on it.
Hey AndrewI, :waving:The :18red:that I use belongs to my neighbour and he says that he would swap for your 1200 wing :stumped:but your very far away from this little Island of the west coast of Ireland. :jumper:
There ya go Andrew, catch the old Blarney spouter out and start building a crate to ship your 1200!

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

I'll be of down to Nedlloyd in the morning to get a quote for shipping. Hey I'm in such a good mood I'll even pay shipping costs.

All I need now is an address for pick up and delivery.

Andrew

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.