Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

My 84GL1200 has been getting very close to the redline on temperature gauge. I was thinking it could be the thermostat but the parts guy said that he has never ordered the thermostat in 10 years but that the waterpumps are a frequent replacement on this bike.

Is there a test to see if either of these are not functioning and causign overheating? The bike gets real hot in less than half hour. The expansion tank has coolant. Any feedback would be great.

kind regards,

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Is the fan working?

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
imported post

You might want to take the radiator off and have it flushed and the pull the front housing on the waterpump and check the play on the impellers. Pull the thermostat andsuspend it in a pan of water and thenbring the water up to boiling to see if the thermostat opens up. I wouldn't run the bike too long without a thrmostat because the water may flow through the radiator so fast that it doesn't have a chance to disipate the heat. It isn't that difficult to do these things, just a little time consuming.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

hockeydad33 wrote:
You might want to take the radiator off and have it flushed and the pull the front housing on the waterpump and check the play on the impellers. Pull the thermostat andsuspend it in a pan of water and thenbring the water up to boiling to see if the thermostat opens up. I wouldn't run the bike too long without a thrmostat because the water may flow through the radiator so fast that it doesn't have a chance to disipate the heat. It isn't that difficult to do these things, just a little time consuming.
Yeah, do all that and see if the fan is working, while you're down there. You don't give your location. If you are in Texas, I believe it has been over 100 degrees for the last 2 years........

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Thanks guys for all the valuable info. I just purchased a new water pump on the advice of the parts guy so I'll flush out the radiator while I'm at it. I'm in cali and it has been hot here but the bike has never gotten this close to the redline. I also noticed in checking my bike that it seems to be running on 3 cylinders. That may be adding to the heating issue.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,334 Posts
imported post

Too bad you ordered the water pump. If you are running on 3 and overheating, it sounds more like a head gasket problem.

Parts salespeople are not your friend.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

I had some work done on the carbs a while back and there is rust in my tank. How can the head gasket cause a dead cylinder?

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Sounds like your bike may have a few issues. You know all the symptoms.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.