Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning a coast-to-coast and back ride next late July (2014) from Olympia to New York across Canada, back on I-80 through Sturgis and then home. I'll be using synthetic (probably Amsoil). 10-40 or 20-50? Three weeks.

1985 GL 1200i.

Thank you.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,671 Posts
Personally I would stay with the 10-40 rather than the 20w version.
Makes it a lot easier on the starter motor to crank the engine in cool weather.

Unless you are going to be running in high temp weather above 110*F most of the time, the 50w is not going to be needed.

for what it is worth, the City of Phoenix uses 5W-40 in all of their gasoline vehicles year round. And temps there in the summer hit 115+ a lot.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
My opinion: (Based on experience)

Amsoil 10W40 MC oil and filter.

First oil change you should run it about 4K to 6K miles then change. After that, your good for 10K to 16K.

I base my oil changes on how well it shifts when warmed up. Might sound weird, but I know my bike.

I did this a last month when I decided to take a long trip. I didn't want to have to worry about an oil change mid trip so I went with something that would last for more miles. The intent was to switch back to my regular oil after I got back, but after seeing how well this stuff works, I am sticking with it.

Yes...... Each oil change is more expensive, about twice as much. But if I can do one oil change versus 3 or 4, I am saving money, time from NOT doing oil changes and I think it's better for my engine, just based on how it runs and shifts.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Oil change is simple and could easily be done at almost any walmart. They sell a cheap tub near the dishes for like $.97 and will take the used oil for free by the tire center. They'll even keep the used tub and dispose of it for you. I'm in favor oil changes closer to the 3000 mark synthetic or not.

10-40w

Just my 2 cents.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I use 20w50 in all my motorcycles, and cars, year round. But I'm in Phoenix. City of Chandler uses 15w40 Rotella non synthetic in all vehicles year round, even though they call for 5w30 or less. I would not use anything less than 10w40, then you get into the "energy conserving" grades, and they have significantly less load bearing ability that heavier oil.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
10-40 royal purple SAE, 4600 miles, looked like new, shifts great, handles temps nicely

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Planning a coast-to-coast and back ride next late July (2014) from Olympia to New York across Canada, back on I-80 through Sturgis and then home. I'll be using synthetic (probably Amsoil). 10-40 or 20-50? Three weeks.

1985 GL 1200i.

Thank you.
Me and the missus did Montana/Wyoming/S.Dakota in June last year going to Rushmore. 105 in Buffalo and Cody. I run the hondaline 10-40. No problems....with the oil......
I'd change the oil and filter around the halfway point though.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
Or, just to throw it in the ring, many folks really like the DELO/Delvac 15/40 oils. Very reasonable price and excellent protection.
Otherwise, any non-energy conserving 10/40.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
many folks really like the DELO/Delvac 15/40 oils. Very reasonable price and excellent protection.
That would be me. $12 for a jug $3-$5 for a filter $1 for a tub. Less than $20 to keep those hydraulic valve tappets from getting plugged up by the junk in the oil and causing the valves to tap and the clutch to shift hard and other engine wear.

I'm sure the synthetic oil would still be useable but the oil still builds up in suspended junk. Your bike Your choice:3wisemonkeys:

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
Personal opinion (with a significant amount of experience) is that unless you are one of those extreme guys (live in the arctic where you rarely hit 60*) or in a heat belt, synthetic is overkill. I also am a Delo/Delvac user. Of course, my area is fairly 'normal' temp wise- typically 30's in winter with some weeks of 20's or mayble lower on occasion, summer runs mostly in the 80's with some weeks of 90 and the occasional 100 degree day.
15/40 year round has worked flawlessly.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
I've used Castrol GTX for a lotta years, 10w-40. Reason being, it seems to keep the engine quiet. Then last year I got a coupon for 15w-40 Rotella, and tried that. That seems to work good also. I'd also use Delo/ Delvac too, because its good in deisel engines.

I've refered back to an old article in Cycle mag, on the reasons for changing oil often. It's not so much the engine is hard on the oil, it's the gears that tear apart the oil molecules. Knowing that is what gets me to change oil more often.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Heavy weight oil may cause starter clutch slipping in cold weather on 4 cylinder wings.

Use motorcycle oil rather than automotive oil. The wet clutch likes motorcycle oil better.

John

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not worried about the 20-50W for cold weather. I would use 10-40. I will be traveling in the heat of the summer (July 25 to mid august) for three weeks across country and back. I was asking whether 20-50 would be more advisable because of the heat I expect to encounter. I will run synthetic regardless. It is the oil weight I am trying to determine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Then you should have asked a question about religion, or politics, rather than oil..........
10/40 will do just fine. You have three weeks, so you won't need racing oil.
I want the Amsoil synthetic for the fact I won't have to change oil along the way. Threads and posts here say it will go 8,000. I'll have the engine cleaned out (as I did at 26K) and use an AMS filter. I have being using another synthetic and the machine simply shifts cleaner with no false neutrals. That alone sold me on synthetics.

I'm glad I didn't ask a question of religion or politics.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
Chicken...

JK!

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
I only use Castrol 10w 40 GTX. The other GTX oils have friction modifiers added, bad for our clutches. 10w 40 GTX has been spared the friction modifiers because it is "motorcycle oil". Our engines were developed and designed to use Castrol GTX.

Scott

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
I have a question, I live in the middle of Florida, on my 1200 I have 20-40, does anyone know why the 20 weight, why not just straight 40 weight?

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
You could use straight weight 40 if you wanted to. The 20w just makes it easier for the starter to turn the engine over when the engine is cold. Also less drain on the battery.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.