Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1200 just recently started making a strange whining noise when riding at speed. If I slow down to like 10mph it stops and doesn't start up again when I speed up, but after a few minutes of riding it just starts all of a sudden. It's fairly loud and seems to be coming from somewhere in the motor. As I slow you can really hear it as the motor quiets down, but then it just stops as I get really slow. What could be causing this?

·
Premium Member
5,624 Posts
Anymore info that would help identify the issue? What type of noise is it?
The first thing that comes to my mind is a dry speedo cable even though that is not typical symptoms.

·
Steve
437 Posts
+1 on lubing the cable. Had the same problem twice.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
I get quite a bit of whining at speed too, but its coming from the passenger seat. :cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Also check the speedometer drive gear on the front wheel. If it's dry on grease it will make a whining sound. The noise may be transmitting up the cable. It's really hard to tell where the sound is actually coming from when riding.
Another remote possibility is the timing belts or belt tensioner.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, maybe. Lubing the cable is a quick and easy job, so I thought I'd be optimistic.

Lubing the speedo requires mega disassembly to get the unit out.
Also check the speedometer drive gear on the front wheel. If it's dry on grease it will make a whining sound. The noise may be transmitting up the cable. It's really hard to tell where the sound is actually coming from when riding.
Another remote possibility is the timing belts or belt tensioner.
@Bike...and Dennis I have an '84 Standard model so getting my front wheel off is pretty easy...actually everything on this bike is easy to fix, imo. I have pulled the motor 3 times and the last time was to replace it with an 87 cause my 84 motor decided to crap out. I know most people wouldn't want to pull a Goldwing motor, but I love this bike too much to let it die. Even when I wrecked and hit a curb head on and totaled my front end, I replaced every part(busted wheel, forks, triple tree, windshield, all kinds of stuff, got them used off ebay, but still)

I haven't gone on a decent ride yet but my quick trips around town have been quite so far since I lubed it. I have a new set of timing belts I'm going to put on pretty soon. Thanks for the responses. Now if I could just figure out where this oil leak is coming from so I don't have to slide a rag under it every time I pull it in the garage. LoL. It may be brake fluid considering my clutch lost pressure after sitting for 6 months. (had to crack the 14mm banjo and bleed it at the master cylinder to get the air out!) But it was a little low on oil too and I had just changed it before parking so.....not sure

This bike is definitely a labor of love.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts