Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
87gl1200 does not fire and no power to fuel pump I am working on a bike that some one else alredy worked on. It cranks but wont start . The person I got it from said he replaced the coils and ignition control unit. i though that maybe the timing belts might be broken so i checked them, it looks like the belts are new .so I checked the timing marks and it all are lining up. I am thinking maybe the pulse generators dut wy would both of them go out at same time? Any with any ideas please chare them thank you

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Starting with the GL1200 the pulse generators don't directly fire the coils but rather feed crankshaft position and rpm to the ignition module.
So it's very likely one or both pulse generators are bad.

·
Administrator
25,364 Posts
From an experience I had and from lots of cases reported sometimes 1 of the PGs can go bad and kill the whole ignition and sometimes it will run on 2 cylinders if 1 goes bad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks what is the best way to check the PG ? Also the pully on the crack shaft is supose to have a arrow pointing up when timed. This pully does not have the arrow could it be that it isin the wrong possition and lobe not go under the pg at the right time?

·
Administrator
25,364 Posts
Never saw one with an arrow on the crank pulley. If it was just out of time it would still have spark. The best way to test the PGs is to connect an AC volt meter to the apropriate wires and crank the engine and look for a small AC voltage. Alternatively hold the body of a soldering gun near the PG and pull the trigger and check for voltage. An ohm test is pretty useless unless you just have an open circuit.

·
Banned
500 Posts
Never saw one with an arrow on the crank pulley. If it was just out of time it would still have spark. The best way to test the PGs is to connect an AC volt meter to the apropriate wires and crank the engine and look for a small AC voltage. Alternatively hold the body of a soldering gun near the PG and pull the trigger and check for voltage. An ohm test is pretty useless unless you just have an open circuit.

how does holding the body of a solder gun near a PG check for voltage? thanks

·
Administrator
25,364 Posts
how does holding the body of a solder gun near a PG check for voltage? thanks

It's an inductive pickup, the soldering gun makes magnetic pulses. It works, trust me.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
87gl1200 does not fire and no power to fuel pump...
Umm... is no one else reading that he said "no power to the fuel pump"?

Everyone is talking about pulse generators, but perhaps we should be talking about fuel starvation if he's saying "no power to the fuel pump".

He also said "does not fire". Does that mean does not start, or does that mean he checked and there is no spark at the plugs? No way to tell from his statement alone.

So, Jerry, which is it? Cranks and does not start, or there is no spark at the plugs?

If there is spark at the plugs and it cranks and does not start, then your problem is most likely fuel starvation.

·
Administrator
25,364 Posts
Umm... is no one else reading that he said "no power to the fuel pump"?

Everyone is talking about pulse generators, but perhaps we should be talking about fuel starvation if he's saying "no power to the fuel pump".

He also said "does not fire". Does that mean does not start, or does that mean he checked and there is no spark at the plugs? No way to tell from his statement alone.

So, Jerry, which is it? Cranks and does not start, or there is no spark at the plugs?

If there is spark at the plugs and it cranks and does not start, then your problem is most likely fuel starvation.

If it does not fire there will be no power to the fuel pump. Fix the firing, the fuel pump is fixed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts