Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Many thanks, guys. I'll get one ordered. I should be able to actually use the starter button after this, is that right?
No, all that diode does is prevent the neutral light from coming on when you pull the clutch.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
This is incorrect Ken. After I screwed up the post, I figured I'd correct your mistake as well.
Ignition power comes in on the y/r wire. It finds it's ground on the g/r.
It has two paths to ground.
1) through the clutch switch
2) through the neutral switch.
The diode is in direct path for the neutral switch. If the diode were missing, or open, the bike would not start in neutral and the neutral light would not illuminate.
It does keep the light from coming on when the clutch is engaged, but it is crucial component in the starting system.
Check me.
Okay my post did not covered the complete working of the system but the main point was that the diode isolates the neutral light from the clutch switch.

With the diode omitted and the two wires connected directly the system would still work allowing starting in neutral or with the clutch lever pulled but the neutral light would come on each time the clutch lever was pulled which was the case here with the shorted diode.

BTW: I can't believe you screwed up. It must have been Internet gremlins screwing with your post.:lash:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.