Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Part of the problem I'm having was posted in a different thread, but that's been fixed so I started this one.
History: Dogbone fuse blew and I finally began the process of replacing the starter solenoid as the wires were all but burned through. Got one from eBay, and that was a mistake. It was shoddy. And here's a possible hint to my troubles--for no more than one second I touched the wrong wires to the wrong place on the solenoid and I saw a very quick puff of smoke from under the seat.

I eventually ordered and installed a Honda replacement solenoid. Battery tested no good. Replaced it. Hooked everything up and hit the starter button...nothing. Neutral light glows. When I cross the poles on the solenoid the engine turns over well but will not start. Doesn't even act like it's trying. I have fuel in it.
I found that the ignition fuse was blown. Replaced it but it blows the instant the starter button is pushed.

So I'm here with the experts. Help me, somebody, cause I am losing some prime ride time!!!
Thank you!!

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What the heck is a clutch switch?

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh. DUH!! So I just went out, replaced the blown ignition fuse, turned the key, held the clutch , and crossed the solenoid poles. AND IT STARTED!!! WOO-HOOO!!!

Does this mean we're getting somewhere?

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Something else I noticed while riding this afternoon- the neutral light comes on every time I squeeze the clutch handle. I don't think it did that before. What does that mean? Is it related to the starter button not working?

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Many thanks, guys. I'll get one ordered. I should be able to actually use the starter button after this, is that right?

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, sir- I am ashamed to admit that I did not. I got so excited that the bike would actually start that I rode all day! I'll check it tomorrow, but don't be surprised if I'm back on here asking questions cause electrical stuff ain't my strong suit. I do have a tester, so I'll give it a shot.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Question: when I put one of the probes from the tester to the g/r, where does the other one go? Ground it to the bike? Or do both probes go to it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.