Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Not being ALL THAT mechanically inclined, especially with a bike that needs so much removed to get at "stuff" (and then put back in the right place with NO pieces left over) I am having a nearby shop (whom I trust) rebuild my carbs, slave cylinder, clutch, and replace the belts. He has given me an estimate of approx. $1500.00 including parts. What do you more experienced riders/wrenchers think? Does this sound like a good and fair deal to you. I think so. Oh, by the way, my ride is a 1986 GL1200 Aspencade with 94,000 miles on her. I'm thinking that, after this rebuild, I should be able to get many, many many more 1,000's of enjoyable miles from this bike. (I have been having some clutch problems lately, which is what prompted this work)

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Sounds like what they would charge you out here if you went to a shop to have it done.
Be sure the throttle cables get lubed and adjusted when they do the carbs or you'll end up with a broken throttle cable some day. They should be lubed every year. They should throw it in, but ask them if they do that included, or they might let it slid to save time on their part.
Yes you should get many more SMILES per Gallon.
:waving:

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I love that,..."Smiles per gallon". being new to biking (only been riding for the last 2 years, this summer will be my third) I have been smiling a LOT. I don't know WHY I didn't do this earlier. (going to be 67 in March)

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

It is so much fun :action::action::action::action::action::action::action::action::action::action::action::action::action:

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

You say "clutch".. do you mean just the hydraulic cylinders or the actual clutch itself???

Probably about right if you mean replace the actual clutch (not just rebuild the cylinders), but the much more important question is "are they able to do it right?" On a bike that old, that is worth a lot (at least to me). I assume so since you said that you trust them..

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Then why not the clutch master too..??

My personalSWAG would come out to about the $1500 (but I would include the master):

Parts
Clutch kit $ 55
Master Kit $ 35
Slave Kit $ 20
Belts $ 40
Carbkits $100
= $250

Labor (I don't have the shop book.. just my estimate)
Clutch kit 5
Master Kit 1
Slave Kit 1
Belts 3
Carbkits 6
= 16 x $70 = $1120

Misc $100

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I'm sorry. He did say an entire clutch rebuild so I am assuming he meant the master too. Guess I'd better double check with him. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

Carbs, slave, and belts yes but I was wondering why you are changing the clutch, is it slipping or dragging or are you changing it as a matter of routine maintenance? These clutches are pretty bullet proof and will usually last way past the 90'000 mark. Pretty expensive to pay someone else to replace it especially if you dont really have to....(just curious)

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Well, it seems to "creep" when the lever is pulled in. Especially on hot days when stopped in traffic. It creeps forward and I am worried about hitting the vehicle in front of me. And, when I go out and start it in the morning the bike will "lurch" forward with the lever pulled in. Now he did say, he would do the slave first,then double check the clutch. So he isn't automatically going to rebuild it. But, it may be likely. BTW, I did have it bled and flushed twice last summer and it still "creeped".

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

If the bike has sat much and the brakes and clutch fluids were not changed yearly, then more than likely the slave has gum built up in it that bleeding will not remove. Only a good cleaning will get it out, same with master cylinders, but the slave especially, because it is so low on the system and is on the engine, baking the gunk in there.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Another good point. Thanks newday. I will pass this along to the mechanic who is not an official Honda mechanic, although he does work on them. (BUT, I think he has usually only worked on the newer ones, 1500 and 1800's.)

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

Dennis is right a creeping clutch is usually an hydraulic problem, however I recently had a creeping clutch problem as did Buffalowing. In both cases the problem turned out to be a clogged scavenging oil pump and nothing wrong with the clutch itself. If afterrepairing all the external workings of the clutch (slave,master, lever bushing along with a proper bleed) and it still creeps you might want to mention to the mechanic about the oil pump. Unfortunately it is an engine out repair. I'm not saying that is your problem but it was for me......Search "clutch creep" for more info.........

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Hey Maestro,
What's the name of the place? I don't live far from you if you decide to tackle anything yourself-give a shout. Is the bike already there? If not gonna be tough to move without a trailer after yesterday's storm. For future reference,I know of a good mechanic out of Westmont who runs his own shop. His name is Mark with MM Motorsports (630) 769-3006.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Hey wingsam. thanks. I'm in West Chicago, just off Geneva Rd.
Took the bike to the Racer Cafe in St. Charles in early November. I had brain surgery on the 22nd of Nov. so I couldn't drive anything for about 5,6 weeks. Let's get together next summer for a ride.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.