Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Help, I have just installed the wiring harness from Dave Campbell and I know I had to of done something wrong. I hit the starter button and got no starter engagement. Has anyone had this happen and do you look?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Big John wrote:
Help, I have just installed the wiring harness from Dave Campbell and I know I had to of done something wrong. I hit the starter button and got no starter engagement. Has anyone had this happen and do you look?
:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet Big John!:waving::waving:

We have a member or two who've installed the DC harness do a search on the subject and I think you'll find some information. You could contact Mr. Campbell and see if he can talk you through the wiring, there's not all that much to go over really.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I just got e-mail from Dave Campbell he said there is nothing in the harness kit to affect the starter or the soleniod. He suggest I get a wiring diagram and trouble shoot the system. Any Ideas about a wiring diagram without going to my local Honda store?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

There are a few who have the schematic and they will most likely pop in soon, I don't have it for the 1200 anymore. Did you check the main fuse to see if there's a short that blew the fuse?

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hello Big John :waving:A big Irish Welcometo the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
imported post

I have wiring diagrams in the back of my Haynes shop manual...I picked it up at my local Pep Boys Automotive store

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Big John wrote:
Big John, the starting circuit is pretty simple on those 1200 Wings.. Beginning at the stater relay (just behind the battery).. One terminal (small wires) goes to ground through either the trans neutral switch or clutch switch (is the trans in neutral or the clutch pulled in?).... The other terminal gets power during cranking from the starter push button & that is powered by the ignition key switch.. (is the ign switch getting power?,, is the starter push button getting power? is the starter relay getting power when the push button is depressed?,, is the starter relay getting a good ground on the low side from either the trans switch or clutch switch..

Shoot me an E-Mail with the year Wing you have & if California or 49 state & I will shoot you back a proper wire diagram..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

I have the step by step trouble shooting guide in my clymeres manual. let me know if you want it and i'll scan it and e mail it to you

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I got it but I haven't figured out how to print it off yet. It is not printing the whole page. Wenseday I will mess with it. That will be the first day I will have time. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Big John wrote:
Would help if you gave year and model.

I assume you have power at the contact side of the relay. Is the relay "Clicking" or not?

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I have 12 Volts to the battery side of thesolenoid but that is as far as it goes. The relay does not click.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

Check  (& clean up ) the grounds from the battery side of the harness(probably green ), and the (almost hidden ) ground from the battery that goes behind the triangular engine mount  thinghy... I think its woven wire strapping  ..... corroded grounds can cause this  effect ..  SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Big John wrote:
I have 12 Volts to the battery side of thesolenoid but that is as far as it goes. The relay does not click.
Big John, are you testing the correct terminals on the relay? The ones you want to check are the smaller wire terminals around the rear of the relay.. Those two on the front (large red ones) will always have power to them (or should anyhow)..

If you do in fact have power to one of the rear (smaller wire) terminals WHEN THE STARTER BUTTON IS PUSHED, then you either have a failed starter relay or the low (ground) side of the relay isn't seeing a good ground.. The low (ground) side of that starter relay gets it's ground EITHER through the trans neutral switch (only if trans in in neutral) or the clutch switch (if the clutch lever is pulled in)..

As a quick test, just run a ground jumper wire to that NON POWERED rear terminal on the starter relay, then push the starter button ( ign switch on) & if it works then youeither have an open in the low sidewire, or the trans isn't in neutral, or the clutchlever isn't pulled in, or both switches are failed..

If it doesn't work with that jumper wire to ground & you DEFINITELY have power to the small relay terminal when the push button is pressed then you probably have a failed starter relay.. Those relays can be removed & taken apart & the inner contacts cleaned up..

Twisty

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.