Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Gave the Baby a bath and nice wax and now she won't run..Back fired a couple timesJust won't fire..Any idea's..I am guessing there is water somewhere..Just not sure where..

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Pull your plug boots and check for standing water . If ther is water in the plug holes get under the bike and find the weep hole. A paper clip or thin wire hanger will be able to fit in the hole. You must clear whatever is blocking and thus keeping water in and worund your plugs.

Also check your main fuse.May not be blown but water and c0orrosion in ther could upset starting also.
My bet is on the first suggestion onf water in the plug wells

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I will check that first thing in the morning if it is not snowing..THX..

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

I try not to use any more water on my bike than is necessary to get her clean, but I have soaked her and got the front of the coils wet, when I started it, it ran on 2 cylinders then died, after I blew off the coils with air it fired right up and ran great. It might be worth checking.
Good luck.:)

:12red::cool:
Dean

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
imported post

Had the same thing happen to me last year, had to take out the coils bake them in the oven for 1 hour at 200 degrees let them sit and cool naturally, i then sprayed them with a ignition sealer........problem solved

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
imported post

You might try using a leaf blower around the engine to blow any excess water out.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Sounds like water is the enemy of my Bike..Making mental note....Send to dry cleaners.. :)

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
imported post

hey fang,
Receivedthe package yesterday. Thanks.

On this problem... You should be happythat this happened in your driveway and not on the road in the middle of a rainstorm.

If muay's suggestion of cleaning out the spark plug bunghole doesn't solve it...

I'd say that either a wire got disconnected while you were spraying it down or the coils are arcing out real bad.

Here's what I would do, get the battery fully charged. Pop off a plug wire and put a spare spark plug instead and ground it off an intake pipe (in the dark) and hit the start button and look real real close at the spark plug gap for any spark, do that for all 4.
If you do have spark at each plug wire, then take off the fake gastank cover, and make sure the airbox and cover are bothsecure on the intake, if eitherisn't, then you might have gotten water into your carbs, drain the 4 carb bowls from the carb drain screws and try to get it started again. If the airbox is bone dry andwas already secure as well as the airbox cover, thenuse a garden hose and shower water around the airbox liberally(DON'T GET ANY INSIDE THE AIRBOX)thenhit the start button. Do this in the dark and hopefully you'll see a lightshow, (spark arcing to ground).
Since you're working around fuel and open spark, it's important that you do all this in the dark, so roll the bike outside before anything, and stay safe.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

check the spark plugs, i have a friend that his bike will if a little of rain water gets on the engine. that day i went into a flooded street and the water almost covered the engine and the bike didn't died, 4 cylinders were working ok.

try using WD 40

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
imported post

FangGL1200 wrote:
Sounds like water is the enemy of my Bike..Making mental note....Send to dry cleaners.. :)
Man, you people crack me up! Great forum.:dude:

Actually, I have found those drainage holes can plug up on occasion. They drain right above the exhaust, so you can use something to clear them out with no worries. Nothing there you can hurt while cleaning.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,749 Posts
imported post

Be careful Fang,
Make sure there is no standing water in the plug wells before you pull out the plugs. Water in a cylinder can really mess things up

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

THX Guys..I attacked it with the air hose today and blew out the spark plug area..Still didn't fire off..But it also didn't back fire so I'm off to check the coils and the fuses..We got up to 35 degrees today so I am not racing the sunshine to hard yet..LOL..Now back to bath day..I was pretty easy on the water when I washed it..I amazes me how good the paint is one this bike for being as old as it is..So I set the nozzle to a light rain setting noi power blasting..I will get it back out to our motorcycle shop this weekend I hope and give it a major looking over..

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

NO NO NO...Our shop..Where me and a couple friends have a left table and a complete line of tools for most every bike made..Along with countless manuals..Have not checked for spark as of yet..Rebuilding the drivewayis taking over everything right now..To much water not enough gravel..I brought home the spark tester just have to plug it in..I am guessing this is not a major fault that will requiere a federal bailout..THX for all the help..

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

OK...I am not getting any spark..Checked the fuse box and the fuses are good..Any idea's..

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

No spark..The wires seem very stiff to me..Is this normal? Is there somethig other than the coils that could be messed up?THX

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.